Chobham Road at Church Street East,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Chobham Road at the corner of Church Street East in the town centre of Woking, Surrey. The Ritz Cinema was opened on 12th April 1937 with “The Texas Rangers” plus a mini-variety bill on stage and Harold Ramsey playing the 3Manual/6Ranks Compton organ. It was built for and operated by the Union Cinemas chain. The Ritz Cinema had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
Union Cinemas were taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in October 1937. The Ritz Cinema was re-named ABC in 1962. In April 1972, the ABC was closed for conversion into a smaller 495-seat cinema in the former circle, and a bingo club in the former stalls area. It re-opened on 13th July 1972. In August 1978, a 78-seat ABC 2 cinema opened in the former cafe area, and this operated using video, rather than film stock.
Both screens closed on 4th September 1982, but the bingo club downstairs continued to operate until 1987. The building was demolished in 1988.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater