Elite Picture House
116 Soho Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Handsworth district of Birmingham on Soho Road between Thornhill Road & Stafford Road. The Elite Picture House was opened on 30th September 1913 with “Bread Cast Upon the Water”. The building had an attractive facade with a central entrance flanked by a shop unit on each side. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It had a 30 feet wide proscenium.
It was closed to regular films around 1966, and was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain, and reopened as a Star Bingo Club. On Sunday’s it began to screen East Indian films for the Asian community. Eventually these took over from bingo, and the Elite Cinema became one of the first cinemas in the city to screen Asian (Bollywood) films. It continued to screen these for into the early-1970’s, when the availability of this type of film on video caused it to close. The building then lay derelict until at least 1984.
It was later demolished and in 2008, the site was an empty plot of land.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater