Lindfield Kings Theatre
376 Pacific Highway,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Lindfield district of Sydney on Pacific Highway at the corner on Balfour Street. The Lindfield Theatre was opened as a live theatre in May 1926, designed by architect C. Reynolds Winter. Seating was provided in stalls, and circle, with a row of mezzanine boxes between. In 1927, the mezzanine boxes were removed, but some side boxes were retained. The seating capacity was given as 696. Films were being screened from September 1936.
The building was taken over by the small Kings Circuit in April 1938, and was extensively remodeled, to the plans of architectural firm Crick & Furse. Seating was now provided for 1,850 in stalls, dress circle and upper circle levels. It was opened on 2nd July 1938 with Joel McCrea in “Wells Fargo” and Edward G. Robinson in “The Last Gangster”.
The Kings Theatre was taken over by the Greater Union Theatres chain in 1946. There was talk of converting it into an ice rink in 1961, but these plans came to nothing. In the early hours of 27th October 1967, a fire broke out, destroying the stage and proscenium. The licence was not renewed, and the Kings Theatre never re-opened. The building was demolished in 1969 and a Coles supermarket now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater