218-220 N. Centre Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened on 21st November 1927, the Capitol Theatre was, at the time, one of the largest theaters built in Pennsylvania, seating over 2,700, and designed in ornate Spanish Colonial style, complete with elaborate plaster-work throughout the interior and a quasi-Art Deco style style facade, with terra cotta decoration.
The Capitol Theatre was also designed for sound movies, although it also had a stage for vaudeville and stage shows, including beauty pageants, held during its early decades of operation.
By the 1960’s, however, the once-grand Capitol Theatre had seen better days, and by the mid-1970’s, was shuttered. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
A few years after closing, its roof collapsed, all but demolishing what remained of the interior. The Pennsylvania Historic Commission declared that the building had ‘lost its integrity’ due to severe deterioration and a city official declared the placing on the National Register was ‘a mistake’!
It was razed in August 1982, and replaced by a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater