No one has favorited this theater yet
The Royal Clarence Theatre was built in 1890, and by 1901 had been re-named New Theatre. Films were soon being presented as part of the programme.
Built by the Jackson Withers chain, Pontypridd’s only Art Deco style cinema opened in January 1939 within the walls of the New Theatre, which had been given a total make-over. The County Cinema occupies a corner site near the station and was a vast white rendered building with a few streamlined Art Deco style windows and a slim entrance canopy. It had a streamlined interior with cove lighting and a waterfall festoon screen curtain. The proscenium was 30 feet wide.
Like its neighour the White Palace Cinema, it suffered from the onslaught of video and colour TV. It was converted into the Castle Bingo Club in the early-1980’s, a use which continued until the early-2000’s when it was last known as the Stardust Bingo Club. It now stands empty which is a sad end for a great cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater