326 Beale Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built around 1912 the Metropolitan/Grand Theatre was one of four significant theatres in the Beale Street area. The Daisy Theatre still stands on the south side of Beale Street and the other three faced it approximately on the north side of the same block.
The multi-story building housed the famous Beale Street Palace Theatre. The other two had several name changes, the smaller one being the Metropolitan Theatre and then the first Grand Theatre. The photo posted is the parade in 1931 when Handy Park was dedicated. Three of the four theatres are visible. All four had films and live entertainment.
The side by side theatres were demolished to make way for the New Daisy Theatre which opened after 1940. The photo of the parade was originally published in the Commercial Appeal and the current images are housed in the Memphis and Shelby County Room of the Memphis Public Library.
For a brief moment, the Loew’s theatre to be opened in 1920 on S. Main Street was referred to as Loew’s Metropolitan Theatre. When it opened it was Loew’s State Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater