3060 North Montana Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Sunset Drive-In opened July 12, 1949, featuring the 1947 travelogue documentary “Homestretch” with Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara and Glenn Langan, withy shorts and the latest news. E. R.”Chub” Munger was the owner/operator of the new drive-in. The Sunset Drive-In was first drive-in theatre to open in Helena, with the Sky-Hi Drive-In opening on May 1, 1952. It had a parking ramp that held 500 cars with in-a-car speakers, and screening features on a 60 ft. x 60 ft. screen tower.
In 1952 the Sunset Drive-In installed ‘Moonlights or Moonbeams’ for the opening of the summer movie season. This lighting system consisted of red, amber, blue flood lights mounted on a tall pole. This provided illumination of the parking ramp during intermissions and at the end of the show for exiting the theatre. In 1955 a new CinemaScope screen was installed. One of the contest’s Chub Munger held, was a yearly drawing for a brand new Chevrolet. The Sunset Drive-In finally closed in 1982. It was demolished and it is now home to McDonald’s, Valley Bank and Murdoch’s Ranch & Home Supply.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater