30400 Plymouth Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Terrace Theatre was the first new movie house in the Detroit area opened since the late-1940’s, not counting the Campus Theatre in Ann Arbor (1956). It opened September 20, 1962 with “The Music Man” which was released in Super Technirama 70 (70mm with stereophonic sound).
The Terrace Theatre sat around 1,200 and was designed by Ted Rogvoy, who also was responsible for area theatres like the Mercury Theatre in Detroit and the Penn Theatre in Plymouth.
It was designed in ‘Chinese Garden’ style, with minimal interior decor, though its canopy marquee was one of the largest ever built in the state, at 52 feet long. Also, its screen was enormous, as well, measuring 59' by 27'.
The Terrace Theatre originally was operated jointly by the Wisper and Wetsman and Suburban Detroit Theatres chains.
In the early-1970’s, the auditorium was twinned, and it became the Terrace 1-2. In the 1980’s, it was turned into a quad, when taken over by the Cinemark chain, and renamed the Cinemark Terrace 4.
The Terrace Theatre closed, and was later converted into an auto showroom for a local dealer.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater