Loew's Mid-City Theatre

416 North Grand Avenue,
St. Louis, MO 63108

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 8 comments

JAlex on September 23, 2016 at 9:02 am

Another name to be added to the list: theatre was known as the PLAYERS from September 1916 to April 1917. Renamed for the Players stock company which was based there. In April 1917 the theatre was closed and was effectively rebuilt (from two balconies to one) and reopened in March 1919 as the Rialto.

rivest266 on February 28, 2016 at 8:57 am

December 22nd, 1972 grand opening ad as Campus Mid-City also in photo section. Expect more ads for St. Louis area cinemas.

hdtv267 on February 27, 2016 at 11:07 am

those are great. Thank you so very much, love the 1960 ad, tickets on sale at Sears !

rivest266 on February 27, 2016 at 10:44 am

1910, 1919 and 1960 grand opening ads in the photo section.

JAlex on May 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

Theatre opened on September 12, 1910.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This page from the Landmarks Association of St. Louis has a brief biography of architect Harry G. Clymer who, with partner Francis Drischler, designed the Princess Theatre. At the bottom of the page is a longitudinal section of the theater. The page notes that Clymer & Drischler also designed the Shubert Theatre in Denver.

TLSLOEWS on February 22, 2010 at 11:17 am

Any Photos anyone?

Lak on January 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

After several attempts to find tenants, the owners decided to raze the theatre in December 1978 due to property taxes and little to no chance of leasing the building. Saddly, if they could have held on for a few more years, this situation could have turned around!!