2030 Sutter Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on October 21, 1907 as the Victory Theatre, this house in the Western Addition was part of the theater district that thrived for a few years after the fire of 1906, before the theaters in downtown San Francisco were rebuilt. In its early years it presented vaudeville, and was the second theatre to be managed by Isadore Coleman Levey (his first being the Columbia Theatre, Oakland) He went on to manage a number of theatres in the bay area and organized (as a theatrical agent) for vaudeville shows in collaboration with his son Bert Levey. They owned the Columbia Theatre, Oakland, the Victory Theatre, Alcazar Theatre, Princess Theatre & Garrick Theatre all in San Francisco, the Republic Theatre, Vallejo and the Sequioa Theatre, Sacramento. but it eventually became a neighborhood movie house.
The Victory Theatre eventually became a movie theatre and sported many names over the years, being Fisher’s Theatre from 1909 to 1913, the Sutter Theatre in 1913 and 1914, the All Star Theatre from 1914 to 1926, then the Class A Theatre in 1926 and 1927. It returned to he name Sutter Theatre in 1927, and finally became a Spanish language house as the Teatro Sutter from 1941 until closing in 1954.
The building, with its enormous Classical pediment, stylized Roman arch entrance, and Mannerist decorative details, has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater