No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Blyth, Northumberland. The Skating Rink on Post Office Square was built in 1909 and opened in 1910. It was taken over by William Tudor in around 1919, and plans were put forward to convert it into the Hippodrome Cinema, which opened on 6th March 1920. It replaced Mr. Tudor’s first Hippodrome, located on Croft Road, which he had opened as a circus in 1893. There was an 18 feet deep stage, with two dressing rooms and a ballroom attached.
The Hippodrome Cinema was taken over by Sol Sheckman in 1931, and by that time the cinema had been equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system.
The Hippodrome Cinema was closed in 1940, and remained closed throughout World War II, never to reopened. After the war had ended, it was demolished in 1948 and Sol Sheckman’s Essoldo chain built their new Roxy Cinema on the site, which opened opened in 1955.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater