5 people favorited this theater
The Fox Theatre was opened on January 5, 1929 as the New Sequoia Theatre, developed by Ellis John Arkush, an owner of a chain of movie houses on the San Francisco Peninsula. Arkush was said to have toured Europe, viewing famous buildings which gave him ideas for the New Sequoia. The building was designed by the Reid Brothers of San Francisco, and featured and Atmospheric Moorish styling in the interior and Gothic Revival styling on the exterior.
Although used from the beginning for motion pictures, the New Sequoia Theatre had a stage for vaudeville and a pipe organ by the Robert Morton Organ Company. A projection machine was provided to show moving clouds and twinkling starts across the ceiling. Hand-carved tiles were used extensively in the interiors. The building was purchased by the Fox West Coast chain in October of 1929, and was used for movie attractions for a number of years.
After a partial collapse of the main auditorium ceiling over the balcony in June 1950, the Fox Theatre underwent extensive remodeling on the interiors, specifically in the auditorium area which was re-done in the Skouras style identified with many Fox movie houses. The new design was done by architect Carl G. Moeller and it reopened on September 15, 1950, with a slightly reduced seating capacity of 1,325.
In 1993, the Fox Theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It was closed in December 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater