Super 322 Drive-In
1682 Woodland-Bigler Highway,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Outdoor Theater, Inc.
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Located in Woodland to the southeast of Clearfield, PA on US-322. The Super 322 Drive-In opened on May 26, 1950 with Randolph Scott in “Fighting Man of the Plains”. It was operated by Ted Grance of Outdoor Theater, Inc. chain. In the 1970’s AM sound replaced the pole speakers and increasing the capacity from 500 to 650. During the 1980’s FM stereo sound was added. Through the years many improvements were made including restoring the marquee and all the original neon. In 2001 the Super 322 was granted eligibility to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There is a fund raiser in progress to convert to digital projection. The drive-in is open seasonally May through September. During the season it features double bill first run attractions.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 6 comments)
Bill & Barb have certainly done justice over the years with this cool drive-in theater. A lot of $$$ in upgrades the last few years have made the SUPER 322, a state of the art drive-in theater. Thumbs-Up for the owners!
Why is it called Super 322?
It’s beside Route 322 in PA
From the Super 322 history page:
The Super 322 Drive-in Theatre was opened on May 26, 1950. Built by the Theodore Grance Outdoor Theatre Co., ownership changed hands a few times until being bought in the 1970s by Royer and Favuzza from the Bellefonte area. They made improvements including AM radio; the Super 322 was Pennsylvania’s second drive-in to add am AM radio sound system. The removal of external speakers increased capacity to about 650 cars. In the 1980s, FM stereo sound capabilities were added.
After working for over 20 years at the theatre, Bill Frankhouser, together with his wife Barb, purchased the Super 322. They have also made improvements including a new marquee complete with a colorful neon sign. In 2001, the Super 322 Drive-in Theatre was granted eligibility to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Pennsylvania Museum Commission. In 2005, one the original neon signs was back in use after being restored. It features pink neon. The entrance lights have been replaced as has been the entire fence at the back of the field. The ramps have all been graded and re-shaped so you can enjoy the best view of the big screen. The ticket booth was replaced in 2010. The Super 322 opened for the 2014 season in digital, having the projector holding the record for the brightest light on the planet!!
The Progress of Clearfield PA shows ads of the Super 322’s grand opening on May 26, 1950, so that definitely checks out.
The 1952 Theatre Catalog listed the Super 322 under Clearfield, capacity 600, Exec: Theodore Grance and Bert Stearn.
Strangely, the 1952-53 edition of the Motion Picture Almanac listed the Super 322 as under construction, owned by F & S Corp., T. Grances, pres. It stayed “Under Construction” in the next edition, then the 1955 edition had it with capacity 600, owner Outdoor Theatre. By 1966, the owner was back to Theo. Grance.
The Super 322 fell off the 1978 MPA list. In the 1980 edition, the owner was Favuzza, which was how it stayed through the final MPA list in 1988.
opened with “Fighting Man of the Plains”