32 Leake Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on Leake Street at the corner of Market Street. The Princess Theatre opened on 21st December 1912(the first purpose built hardtop in the subburban area). It was equipped with a theatre pipe organ. In 1937 it was re-modelled internally in an Art Deco style by architect William T. Leighton of architectural firm Baxter-Cox & Leighton. By 1951 it was known as the New Princess Theatre. The theatre closed on 26th June 1969.
The building was sold to a car repairer and gutted for use as a workshop, retaining the basic structure, including the balcony, and the entrance onto Market Street. In 1985 it was in use as a market, and in 1989 as an ice cream manufacturing company. There is now shops and offices along the front of the theatre building. The entrance hall is now a Kakulas Sister Grocer store. The Kakulas Sister sign was lowered down a few years ago(2010?) revealing the old Princess theatre sign.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater