Cremorne Theatre and Palace Gardens
111 Murray Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cremorne Theatre opened on 25th June 1896 behind the Criterion Hotel(now called Cremorne Hotel?) at 31 Howick Street(now Hay Street) with the entrance at 111 Murray Street. The first screening of pictures was on 12th December 1896. When pictures were not screened, it returned to vaudeville shows. The name changed to the Bijou Theatre for a few months in the summer of 1902 and 1903, and then the name changed back to the Cremorne Theatre. Name changed to Palace Gardens and Theatre in 1904. The name changed back to Cremorne Theatre in July 1910. Name changed to Cremorne Theatre and Palace Gardens on 25th December 1912. The Cremorne Theatre and Palace Gardens closed in(1914 or in the summer of 1918?),by that time showing vaudeville only.
The entrance later became Cremorne Arcade running through to Hay Street(only the Hay Street end remains, now shops, the arcade entrances gone at both ends.) The Murray Street end was Demolished(?) and later used by the YMCA. The site is now a chemist(Chemist Warehouse), a gym(Snap Fitness), and internet cafe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater