6016 W. Plank Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Bellevue Drive-In opened in 1948, and could originally accomodate about 750 cars. It was the largest drive-in in downstate Illinois at the time. It was operated by the General Drive-In Theatre Corporation.
In 1960, Chicago-based Kohlberg Theaters took over the Bellevue Drive-In and almost doubled its car capacity. In 1963, it had its moment in the spotlight when it hosted the world premiere of the drive-in kitschy-horror classic “Blood Feast”. However, later that decade and through the 1970’s, the Bellevue Drive-In would become known for screening mostly adult, and later, pornographic movies.
A fire in the late-1970’s destroyed the drive-in, and it was afterward demolished and replaced by what was to be a new K-Mart store. Oddly, K-Mart suddenly changed its mind and never opened the store. After sitting vacant for a number of years, the building became home to a mail order business, which it remains today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater