Midway Drive-In

2707 S. Virginia Street,
Reno, NV 89502

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Final Exam Ad July 10, 1981

The Motor-In was opened June 18, 1946 with Anne Baxter in “The Sullivans” & Kay Francis in “Four Jills in a Jeep”. On June 4, 1948 it was renamed Midway Drive-In. By 1954 it was operated by Midway Ents., Inc. of Hollywood, CA and Floyd Bernard. It was twinned February 10, 1971. It was closed in 1982.

Contributed by Anthony L. Vazquez-Herbandez

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

Kenmore
Kenmore on March 9, 2016 at 11:41 am

Found It! The drive-in was located at 2707 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV. Aerial photos show it was in existence from 1948 and was still intact by the late 1960s.

Since then, it has been totally demolished and today the Peppermill stands on the property with no trace of the drive-in remaining. http://tinyurl.com/h9qrz75

rivest266
rivest266 on May 3, 2016 at 4:39 pm

This opened on June 18th, 1946 as Motor-In. On June 4th, 1948 it reopened as the Midway drive-in, which had a second screen installed on February 10th, 1971. Three grand opening ads in the photo section.

Chris1982
Chris1982 on May 3, 2016 at 10:23 pm

In the middle ad in the photo section it lists the address at 195 Brinkby Ave.

Kenmore
Kenmore on May 4, 2016 at 12:51 pm

The address 195 Brinkby Ave today runs along the south edge of the drive-in. However, in the aerial photos of the drive-in in 1948, 66, and 67 no avenue can be seen, only the entrance road to the drive-in itself.

Clearly, the entrance road was the “avenue” and perhaps it did get an official designation from the city of Reno. In any case, both addresses lead to the same location at least on Google.

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on October 31, 2018 at 8:26 am

Opened as Motor-in with a cartoon comedy(not named), and “The Sullivans” and “Four girls in a jeep”. Renamed Midway Drive-in and opened with “Sitting pretty” and “Midnight serenade”. Opened as Midway 2 with on screen 1 with “Thunderball” and “You only live twice” and “Stranger in town” and screen 2 with “It’s a mad, mad, mad mad World” and “True grit”.

jwmovies
jwmovies on February 7, 2019 at 11:08 pm

FYI two Century mega domes were built in the rear of the theater on the southeast side. They survived several years after the drive in closed. The Peppermill kept expanding over the years until they were gone.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on July 27, 2019 at 8:39 am

Based on aerial photos, the Midway expanded its capacity between 1948 and 1966.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on November 22, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Motion Picture Herald, April 7, 1956: “WASHINGTON: National Theatres will ask the New York District Court for permission to acquire the Midway drive-in theatre near Reno, Nevada, according to Justice Department officials. No date has yet been set for the court hearing. The drive-in, about two miles southeast of Reno, has a 443-car capacity, and can be expanded to an 800-car capacity. Floyd C. Bernard is the present operator.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater