1346 19th Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The original Washington Theatre was built in 1910 for the Lilian Amusement Co., and sat about 1,200. Located at 1330 19th Street, it was closed and torn down in 1923 when a new Washington Theatre was built nearby on the site of the Washington Airdome.
The second Washington Theatre was designed by architectural firm R. Levine & Company. Acquired in December 1928 by the Skouras Theatres chain. In late-1929 it was taken over by the St. Louis Amusement Co. Still later, the theater was part of the Fanchon & Marco chain.
The theater contained a Barton organ, which was removed after a blaze in 1946, when the theater was slightly remodeled. It was taken over by Arthur Enterprises in 1957. The theater was remodeled again in 1975. The Washington Theatre operated until 1980.
It was briefly used afterwards for live events but razed in 1993 to make way for a bus depot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater