16200 Hilliard Road,
5 people favorited this theater
The former Westwood Art Theatre is located in Lakewood, a district to the west of Cleveland, OH. It was the sister theatre to the Heights Art Theatre (aka Madstone Centrum) in Cleveland Heights and the Continental Art Theatre in East Cleveland (demolished in the 1970’s.) In the 1960’s/1970’s the Westwood Theatre had shown XXX-rated adult films.
The theatre opened as the Hilliard Square Theatre in 1927 and was built for vaudeville and motion pictures by the Universal Pictures chain. The seating capacity is given as 1,500 in editions of Film Daily Yearbook through the 1940’s and 1950’s, although in reality it could be 1,200 (800 in the orchestra, 400 in the balcony). It changed its name to the Westwood Theatre in around 1962. By the 1980’s, the theatre started showing sub-run Hollywood fare, toward the end charging only 50 cents admission!
The theatre closed in 1988, and has been vacant since. Lack of off-street parking, as well as the high cost of operating a single screen theatre, killed the Westwood Theatre. The building is still standing, and nothing has been done to the theatre since it closed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater