Central Theatre

271 Central Avenue,
Jersey City, NJ 07307

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Central Theatre Auditorium

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Central Theatre was one of the two neighborhood movie theatres on Central Avenue. It was opened in 1920. By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. It operated until the 1960’s. It was located on the west side of Central Avenue between Hutton Street and Sherman Place.

Contributed by R Klapouchy

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

William
William on February 4, 2004 at 1:11 pm

The Central Theatre was located at 271 Central Ave. and it seated 1961 people.

teecee
teecee on July 5, 2005 at 5:37 am

On 11/30/1920, a Wurlitzer organ, opus 369, was installed in the “National” Central Theater in Jersey City.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on January 23, 2006 at 4:07 pm

There is a parking lot at this address.

teecee
teecee on March 10, 2006 at 3:35 pm

1942 ad, courtesy of Bill Huelbig – see upper right under Warner:

View link

Still listed in the 1956 FDY as a Warner Theatre.

teecee
teecee on March 10, 2006 at 3:46 pm

1959 ad (center) courtesy of Bill Huelbig:
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 25, 2010 at 5:54 am

According to the records of the New York Terra Cotta Company, the Central Theatre was designed by E.C. Horne & Sons. It was opened in 1920.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 28, 2011 at 1:46 am

The July, 1921, issue of Architecture and Building has a brief article about the Central Theatre and a portfolio of several photographs. I now think that E. C. Horne and Sons must have designed only the building the theater was in, as the article identifies the architect of the theater itself to Eugene De Rosa.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater