126 Sparks Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Flower Theatre opened June 30, 1914 and was built by Fred W. Carling for $35,000. It was beloved for its $10,000 44 pipe Wurlitzer Orchestra organ played by Ernest E. Jeres. The theatre was adorned in flowers behind glass cases running the length of the auditorium.
On September 2, 1918, the theatre changed its name relaunching as the Strand Theatre with Theda Bara in “Cleopatra". (It was the second Strand Theatre in Ottawa with the short-lived Strand Theatre launching at Wellington Street on October 29th, 1914).
The Strand Theatre closed March 5, 1921 when it was sold for $195,000 to the Home Bank of Canada. The operator moved to the larger and newly-appointed Capitol Theatre. (A third Strand Theatre opened by Louis Wolfe opened in South Ottawa at 1265 Bank Street on May 19, 1949. That Strand Theatre closed on October 30, 1954 though remained as a bingo hall until being demolished for a Tim Hortons).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater