White Way Drive-In
Route 6 and R.D. 3,
1 person favorited this theater
Description credit Kevin Patrick and Driveins.com page for the White Way.
Opened with 500 car capacity on August 6, 1948 with Dennis O'Keefe in “Getting Gertie’s Garter” (originally released November 30, 1945, a remake of a 1927 film)
Now occupied by Warren County Visitors Bureau and Pennsylvania State Police
White Way Drive-In opened in 1948 where Route 6 crossed the old New York Central tracks a couple miles west of Warren. When this rare photo of the drive-in was taken a year later John Ford’s “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon” was playing, and the grade crossing was under construction causing Warren-bound traffic Route 6 traffic to be detoured past the drive-in and onto River Road. The New York Central tracks were abandoned and torn up after the Penn Central merger of 1968 at the same time the new Route 6 Irvine-Youngsville Bypass was constructed. The White Way Drive-in was part of the Blatt Brothers empire of western Pennsylvania movie theaters until it closed in 1980. The lot layed fallow until the recent construction of the Warren County Visitors Bureau.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater