Pelham Picture House
175 Wolfs Lane,
4 people favorited this theater
This 1920’s single screen 445-seat theatre was operated by Liggett-Florin Booking Service in 190 and they were still the operators in 1957. It has somehow made it all the way into the 2000’s showing first run movies. However, an 18-plex in neighboring New Rochelle opened in 1999 and plans were made to demolish the Pelham Picture House.
Fortunately a non-profit group Pelham Picture House Preservation Inc. was formed with the intent of purchasing the Picture House from its then current owner. The purchase for $1.15 million was closed in late-2004. It was converted into a regional non-profit film and education center. Seating capacity in the auditorium was reduced to 250 while plans for two smaller auditoriums were to be added in the rear consisting of 120 and 55 seats respectively for a total of 425. Classrooms, multi-purpose spaces, and a studio/editing room will also be added.
Besides showing art house films the group also stages historical events, workshops, photographic exhibits, children’s programs, and documentaries once the renovations are completed. A 16-seat auditorium was opened in 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater