Commerce Street and Meridian Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Temple Opera House launched in downtown Aberdeen on October 21, 1884 with a performance of “Ardendale”. The building’s purpose was to serve as both a live venue and a Masonic Temple. It replaced a framed structure demolished in May of 1884 at the corner of Meridian Street and Commerce Street.
G.W. Elkins was the original lessee and manager of the Temple Opera House. In 1902, the venue became known as the Temple Theatre and, in 1905, motion pictures were shown by Stanley’s Big Polyscope Company. The city of Aberdeen liked moving pictures. Although live performances were the core business, motion pictures were worked in during the silent era.
The theatre switched to motion pictures as its main business converting to sound. Elkins' sons would build the Elkins Theatre for full-time motion pictures in 1937. The Temple Theatre burned down in 1940 after more than 55 years of operation.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater