1 person favorited this theater
“The Stardust Drive-In was opened August 5, (1949) on Route 50 between Salem and West Union”, according to a brief note in BoxOffice two weeks later. It was about a mile east of Smithburg, an unincorporated area, on the north side of old US 50, now Smithton Road.
The 1952 Theatre Catalog listed the Stardust Drive-In under Smithburg with a capacity of 110, owner E. C. Wilson. That persisted through the 1955-56 Catalog.
The Stardust Drive-In was in the first Motion Picture Almanac list in the 1950-51 edition, also under Smithburg at 110 cars. Through 1961 the owner was L. L. Ash. The 1962 MPA listed the owner as Duane Jenkins. For 1963-66, that changed to Gene Chipps. The Stardust Drive-In fell off the MPA list in 1977 despite probably closing years earlier. It was included in a 1963 topo map but gone from a 1977 topo.
Nothing remains of the drive-in and storage units occupy the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater