20 Flatbush Avenue,
30 people favorited this theater
The Fox Theatre was once a centerpiece of Downtown Brooklyn. It was opened by William Fox on August 31, 1928 with Janet Gaynor in “Street Angel”. It had 4,305 seats. Interior decorations were in a mix of Spanish Baroque, with Marine motifs. The proscenium was 50ft wide, the stage 39ft deep. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer ‘Crawford Special’; 4 manual 37 ranks organ, which also had a slave console. By 1937 it had been taken over by Fabian Theatres and renamed Fabian Fox Theatre.
The Fox Theatre closed as a movie palace on February 6, 1966 with William Bendix in “Johnny Nobody” and David Niven in “Where the Spies Are”. It became a popular concert venue for rock ‘n’ roll shows emceed by Murray Kaufman (Murray The “K”) which lasted until April 1968. Later in 1968 it was briefly taken over by the Salmaggi Grand Opera Company. It was ‘Temporarily Closed’ for two years, then a “Farewell to the Fox” week of organ concerts were held from October 31, 1970 until November 4, 1970, with Bill Gage playing the mighty Wurlitzer.
Demolition began on November 7, 1970 and was completed in early-1971. The Consolidated Edison company of New York was built in its place.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater