No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north of city centre district of Eimsbuttel. The Grindel Filmtheater was opened on 25th November 1959 with Anita Ekberg in “Sign of Rome” (aka “Sign of the Gladiator”). It was designed by architects Joachim Gluer & Gerd W. Blaettchen. It was operated by Oskar Peter Freiberger. It was equipped with 35mm & 70mm TODD-AO with 6 channel stereophonic sound system.
In 1963 the 146 degrees deeply curved screen was enlarged to 27x10 meters and 3-strip Cinerama projectors were installed with an up to 9-channel stereo sound system added. It was re-named Cinerama Grindel Filmtheater and screened “Cinerama Holiday” and “How the West Was Won” in the Cinerama process. This was followed by “Windjammer” presented in Cinemiracle. Also in 3-strip Cinerama were “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” & “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”. From December 1973 it was screening films in 70mm, including “The Alamo, "South Pacific” (in 70mm TODD-AO), “Doctor Zhivago” (which ran for 33 months), the 70mm re-release of “Gone With the Wind”, a re-release of “Ben Hur”, “Cheyenne Autumn”, “The Unsinkable Molly Brown”, “Ryan’s Daughter” and “The Greatest Story Ever Told”. During this period it was operated by Deutsche Cinerama GmbH Munchen Freiherr von Stein.
In 1975 it was operated by Heinz Riech Olympic Filmtheater and was re-named Ufa Palast Grindel. In 1980 it was expanded to two more screens. From 1987 it was equipped with Phillps projection equipment and the screens were flat. Around 1991 it was equipped with THX and a digital multichannel sound system. In 1995 it was expanded to 6-screens.
In 2003 to 2004 it was operated by the Cine Star chain and was the first cinema in Hamburg to be equipped with digital 3D projection. The Grindel Filmtheater was closed around 2007/2008 and was demolished in April 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater