Atlantic Palast Filmtheater
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the city centre on a site which originally housed the Zum Strauss hotel, which in 1905 was converted into a department store and was destroyed by Allied bombs during World War II. The Atlantic Palast was opened on 12th December 1951. It was designed by Kassel based architect Paul Bode together with Nurenburg based architect Franz Reichel. Seating was provided for 1,200 in orchestra and balcony levels. The ceiling in the auditorium had 1,600 lights, which gave the impression of a starlit sky. It was operated by Friedrich & Walter Jung.
On 11th August 1967 it was twinned, with 800-seats in the former orchestra and 270-seats in the former balcony. In 1969 it was taken over by the Ufa chain and re-named Atlantic Palast Filmtheater. It was closed and demolished in the mid-1970’s.
It was replaced by a business complex named Grand Bazar, which had a 4-screen cinema in its basement, containing a total of 949-seats. These were closed in 1998 and were demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater