Hoyts Albury Theatre
483 Olive Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the town of Albury, New South Wales, on the border with Victoria. The New Regent Theatre was opened on 12th March 1937 with Jane Withers in “Pepper” & Gary Cooper in “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town”. It was designed in an Art Deco. Streamline Moderne style by Melbourne based architectural firm Taylor, Soilleux & Overend. Interior decorations were by J.K. Pettigrew & Sons. Seating was provided in stalls and balcony levels and there was a crying room at the rear of the stalls. There was a roof garden on top of theatre.
As there was already a Regent Theatre operating in the town on Dean Street, operated by Hoyts until it was taken over by an independent operator on 3rd Aprl 1937, and retaining the Regent name, the New Regent Theatre was renamed Hoyts Albury Theatre on 8th May 1937.
On 26th August 1954 CinemaScope was installed with the opening film in this process being Richard Burton in “The Robe”. The cinema was closed on 12th April 1972 with Michael Jayston in “Nicholas and Alexandra”. At 01:15 am on 20th October 1974, the vacant building was destroyed by fire which began in the backstage area, which first brought the ceiling down, and later the walls.
A chemist discount store now operated on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater