790 Venustiano Carranza,
San Luis Potosi
No one has favorited this theater yet
The grand Cine Avenida opened on 10th October, 1947 with 3,200 seats in orchestra and balcony levels. It stands impressively on a corner site at Avenida Venustiano Carranza and Avenida Tomasa Estevez, with a simple sweeping marquee to cover the sidewalk. The lobby is sumptuous enough to be compared with Radio City Music Hall in New York, with a long single stair rising to an open mezzanine, complete with a huge painted wall mural. Cove lights in the ceiling and around statuary niches supplement the natural light from three 2-story windows.
The entire auditorim is richly draped in multiple layers of swags and tie-backs. A cove-lit sunburst radiates from the square topped proscenium.
This architect was Javier Vilchis Pliego. The original owner was Jose Vilet, Jr.
The Cine Avenida was closed as a single screen cinema in the late-1980’s. It was taken over by another operator in the early-1990’s and converted into eight screens. It was closed in around 2005, and the building now stands unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater