Hoyts Regent Fitzroy
84 Johnston Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Architects: Charles Neville Hollinshed
Styles: Gothic Revival
Built on the site of the Solway Theatre (1911-1928). Fitzroy’s Regent Theatre was amongst the largest of Melbourne’s suburban cinemas and was opened on 30th March 1931 with Ronald Colman in “Two Lovers”. It was operated by Hoyts Theatres for most of its life. It featured a long foyer off Johnston Street, Fitzroy. The foyer possesed a barrel-vaulted ceiling painted and decorated in Gothic Revival style. The theatre’s auditorium featured crystal chandeliers, an orchestra pit, also a 21ft deep stage, two large dressing rooms and flytower for visiting singers and actors. The main house curtain was made of contured silk. Seating was provided for 2,247, with 1,443 in the stalls and 804 in the circle. The proscenium was 40ft wide.
The Hoyts Regent Fitzroy was an early casuality of television closing on 17th September, 1960 with James Stewart in “The Mountain Road”. The cinema was altered for a television studio for HSV 7. It was last used as a legit theatre in October 1975 for “The Rocky Horror Show”.
Although it was relatively intact, it was derelict for years and was demolished in 1983.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.