513 9th Street NW,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Gayety Theatre was opened in 1907, designed by architect William H. McElfatrick. Its exterior was a mix of Beaux-Arts and Neo-Classical styles. Its facade was framed by two sets of columns, which supported a large arch covered with terra-cotta decor. The three-story building’s auditorium was an equally ornate Edwardian music hall, complete with gilded plasterwork and an asbestos fire curtain painted with pastoral scenes. The auditorium held two balconies and four sets of boxes. The interior of the Gayety Theatre was very similar in style to that of the Bushwick Theatre in Brooklyn that McElfatrick would design a few years later.
Originally, the Gayety Theatre was a burlesque and vaudeville house, though not the burlesque of the 1940’s and 1950’s. This earlier form of burlesque was closer to comic acts than the striptease of the better-known later form. While the Gayety Theatre later began to show movies as well, it would only remain a secondary form of entertainment for the entire course of the theater’s history, which, by the 1940’s, would include the later form of burlesque.
In 1950, the Gayety Theatre became the Shubert Theatre upon its acquisition by the Shubert organization, and switched to legitimate theatre. It would remain so until it was closed almost ten years later. The Shubert Theatre, while still in good shape, was unfortunately demolished in 1960 to make way for a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater