1544 Great Western Road, Anniesland,
2 people favorited this theater
The Ascot Cinema opened on 6th December 1939 with Gracie Fields in “Shipyard Sally”. It was built for Great Western Cinemas and they operated it until February 1943 when it was sold to Gaumont British Theatres Ltd. Re-named Gaumont in July 1950 it passed to the Rank Organisation and was re-named Odeon from May 1964. Closed on 25th October 1975 it lay empty until 1979, when it was converted into a County Bingo Club.
The former Ascot Cinema was designated a Grade B Listed building by Historic Scotland on 10th July 1989.
The redevelopment of the Ascot Cinema proved challenging for the architects to ensure they kept the Art Deco facade and that it blended in with the new build element. The auditorium was demolished in 2001. On the site of the old cinema was built forty-five 1, 2 and 3 bedroom luxury apartments including five penthouses (two double storey) with private balconies and terraces. In line with the general theme, the development was named ‘The Picture House’ and each apartment was named after an icon of the silver screen.
Strathclyde homes were given a commendation for the ‘conversion’ in the 2004 Design Awards.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater