Loew's Century Theatre
18 W. Lexington Street,
1 person favorited this theater
This John J. Zink-designed theater was opened on May 7, 1921 with Mae Murray in “The Guilded Lily” and Ernest Lubitch’s “Deception”. Located on W. Lexington Street between Charles Street and Cathedral Street. Seating 1,400, the Loew’s Century Theatre was built with an upstairs ballroom which opened on October 29, 1921. The Century Theatre was equipped with a Moller organ, but this was replaced by a Wurlitzer 3 manual 11 ranks instrument in mid-1926.
In 1926, the ballroom was converted by John Eberson into another movie theater, the Loew’s Valencia Theatre, designed in an Atmospheric style. The Century Theatre featured a somewhat plain and small boxy marquee, but a huge vertical sign spelling out, originally, “Loew’s”, which was later changed to “Century”.
The Loew’s Century Theatre closed on January 8, 1961 (the Loew’s Valencia Theatre had closed in 1955). In the summer of 1962 the building was razed to make way for the Charles Center, an office complex.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater