Fredericksburg Drive-In

3534 Fredericksburg Road,
San Antonio, TX 78201

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Fredericksburg Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

This was the first drive-in built in San Antonio and opened as the Drive-In. By 1955 it had been renamed Fredericksburg Road Drive-In and was operated by Underwood & Ezell. When it opened the back of the screen faced the road and it had a large mural of an actress painted on it. Later a clown replaced the actress and then an abstract painting replaced the clown. The Fredericksburg Drive-In had a long life lasting until 1982.

The site is now a shopping center and an apartment complex. The old roadside marquee is now used to list the shops in the shopping center. It had a 552 car capacity.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

lyssa751
lyssa751 on March 16, 2005 at 2:09 pm

The original name, “The Drive-In”, for this theatre, was changed when The Alamo Drive-In opened a couple of years later to “Fredericksburg Rd. Drive-In.” At that time, it was the only drive-in right on the outskirts of San Antonio at the time, so they just named it with a basic name. This theatre also featured some X-rated movies around its end, along with the Lackland DI.

Jim Miller
Jim Miller on July 4, 2006 at 4:10 am

The “Fred. Road”, as it was usually called opened in 1940. This was before the advent of in car speakers. The lot had speakers under grates. One would park over the grate and the sound would come up through the floorboard! When the In Car Speaker made it’s debut in 1946, the Fred. Road was finally outfitted with this revolutionary development. The original manager of the Fred. Road lived on the property and stayed on the job until his death in the mid 70s! His wife stayed on as assistant manager, and lived on the property until her death a few years later.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 20, 2007 at 7:01 am

Here is a 1948 ad from the San Antonio Light:
http://tinyurl.com/2mambr

FlashBack1968
FlashBack1968 on August 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Mural of an actress on the screen tower of the Fredericksburg Drive-In Theatre, 3534 Fredericksburg Road, 1940s.

View extra large detailed photo

Drive-In 54
Drive-In 54 on August 23, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Uploaded aerial from 1966. It looks like the curved cinema-scope screen was mounted in front of the flat screen.

FlashBack1968
FlashBack1968 on October 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

An extra large aerial of the Drive-In shortly after it opened.

View extra large detailed photo

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater