98-101 Middle Abbey Street,
2 people favorited this theater
This 2,304-seat Art Moderne style movie palace was designed by William R. Glen, (assisted by local Irish architect Robert Donnelly) for the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) circuit and opened on 12th January 1939 with Errol Flynn in “The Adventures of Robin Hood”. While primarily a cinema, the Adelphi Cinema did feature live acts as well, most notably being the only appearance in Dublin by the Beatles on 7th November 1963. Other performers to appear at the Adelphi Cinema included Marlene Dietrich, Louis Armstrong, Diana Ross, and Roy Orbison.
In October 1970, the cinema was triplexed, and later, in 1973 became a quad. The Adelphi Cinema was closed on 30th November 1995 screening “High Society” and “Gigi”, with no admission charged. Unfortunately, this once-glamourous cinema was demolished except for part of its facade, and a parking garage built in its place. Cars now drive in and out of what was once the Adelphi’s main entrance.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater