13 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Previous Names: Piccadilly Theatre, New Yorker Theatre, Cine Roma, Oriental Theatre, Continental Theatre, Abbey Theatre, Manhattan Theatre, Republic Theatre
Opened as the Piccadilly Theatre on September 27, 1924, the architects were Newton L. Schloss and Joseph Orlando (associate architects). It was built for Lee Ochs. It was equipped with a Marr & Colton 4 manual 28 ranks organ.
It was taken over by Warner Brothers and re-named the Warners' Theatre on August 29, 1925 with Monte Blue in “The Limited Mail” a Warner Bros. silent movie. It was in this theatre that Warner’s launched their ‘Vitaphone’ talkies and “The Jazz Singer” starring Al Jolson had its Gala World Premiere here on October 6, 1927.
In 1938 it is listed as the Continental Theatre and from April 7, 1943 it was renamed Abbey Theatre. It closed as the Republic Theatre in either 1948 or 1949. It was demolished in 1952 and today a hotel stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.