46 W. Independence Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Built as the flagship of the Chamberlain Amusement Company chain in 1918, the 1700-seat Victoria was an early design by prolific Pennsylvanian theater architect William H. Lee. The Beaux Arts style theater resembled more a European opera house of the late 19th century than a movie house.
The Victoria originally hosted vaudeville acts and stage shows in addition to movies before turning to movies exclusively later.
The Adam-style decor of the auditorium was simple but graceful, including a huge domed ceiling with a chandelier in the center, with smaller chandeliers encircling the dome. The large horseshoe-shaped balcony reached almost to the organ grilles flanking the narrow proscenium arch.
The exterior of the theater featured terra cotta highlights over light-colored brick. The name Victoria was inscribed on three plaques just below the cornice, on each side of the three-sided facade which faced Independence Street. In 1985, the Victoria was named to the National Register of Historic Places. After a very long career, the theater finally closed in the early 90s, and rapidly fell into disrepair.
Sadly, this small-town movie palace, along with much of the historic block it stood on, was acquired by Rite Aid in 1998 and cleared to make way for a new drugstore and its parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater