Cinema 66 Drive-In

5801 N. Martin Luther King Avenue,
Oklahoma City, OK 73111

600 cars

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Cinema 66 Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Cinema 66 Drive-In opened in 1950 and closed in 1967. It had a capacity for 600 cars.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

raybradley
raybradley on June 13, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Originally named Route 66 Drive-In, the Cinema 66 was located on N. Eastern, just off Rt. 66. Engineered in smooth line Modern styling, this was a good place in which to watch a double feature. Atop a s grassy hill sat an oversized screentower. Metal saucers were supplied so children could slide down the gentle slope. There were no automated rides, but childred loved the swingsets, slides, manual mery-go-round, and see-saws. All playground equipment was painted green in order to blend nicely with evergreen landscaping.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Wonder in the late fifties if it under went a name change.Have a N.Eastern Drive-in parking 600 cars in that city?

whorton
whorton on July 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm

From the AIDA database:

Cinema “66” Also known as “NE 66”

Location originally listed as 5801 N. Eastern (Aerial photos from 1970 show the entrance to have been off of Grand Blvd.)

Capacity: About 600

Opening date: Friday Aug 6, 1950

Opening Billing: Father is a Bachelor with Coleen Gray, and The Palomino

Closing date: Did not reopen for the 68 season. Built by: Leo Thomas and sold to R.L. Barton about 1964.

The remnants of this theater may still be seen (at least the ticket box office) from Grand Blvd. between Eastern and 63rd. Aerial photos show the entrance to be in the 5800 block and the area is very overgrown with lots of poison ivy. The theater was located in a unique section of town which was not very fashionable. The city has evolved except for a small area around where the drive-in was located. Some of the peripheral lot lights are still present in the densely packed wooded area. They hang as if they eternally doomed to guard the long since dead drive in.

A long forgotten memo from Louis Spagna (General manager of Greater Oklahoma City Amusements to R. Lewis Barton dated March 10, 1971 reads:

As you know, the Cinema 66, which is included in the operating agreement with Gulf States theaters, has been virtually abandoned and its condition has deteriorated terribly.

We have been approached recently by an operator of adult motion pictures and have received an offer to lease this particular providing it can be released from the operating agreement with Gulf States Theaters.

We believe the policy Gulf States has adopted for the 66 is a serious violation of the operating agreement. It is also apparent that they do not intend to reopen this theater; therefore, it would appear to be in everyone’s best interest if Gulf States were to restore the theater to its prior condition and release it from the operating agreement.

Wesley Horton AIDA

jwmovies
jwmovies on September 20, 2012 at 1:21 am

Approx. address for this drive-in was 6066 NE Grand Blvd.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater