124 N. Mechanic Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Michigan Theatre - Jackson (Official)
Previously operated by: Butterfield Theaters
Architects: Maurice H. Finkel
Styles: Spanish Baroque
News About This Theater
- Jun 4, 2009 — Large theater speakers for sale
- Mar 22, 2006 — Master Plan Complete for Historic Michigan Theatre
- Oct 15, 2003 — Jackson's Michigan Theatre
The Michigan Theatre opened on July 1, 1930 with 1,739 seats, it was the last and largest of several movie palaces built in Jackson.
Designed in the Spanish Baroque style, it featured ornate plasterwork, marble, imported antique artwork, and walnut paneling. The terra-cotta facade and its rooftop cupola resembled a church from 18th century Spain.
The Michigan Theatre featured both stage shows and motion pictures, and was an entertainment mecca for Jacksonians for decades before ultimately closing its doors in 1978.
Its original-and-only-owners kept the Michigan in excellent condition during their tenure, and its original appearance has changed little since it opened, amazingly, other than an Art Moderne new marquee added about 1940, and its interior being painted over in a uniformly dark color scheme in the 1960’s.
Since restoration began in 1993, over a million dollars has been put into returning the Michigan to its original glory, including restoring the original colors to the auditorium and lobby, regilding, and adding a new marquee which is more in line with the Michigan’s original 1930 marquee.
Full restoration was virtually completed in 2009. The Michigan Theatre screens classic and art films, including children’s matinees, and its stage is host to concerts and local theater productions.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.