This first opened as the Cine 1 & 2 during the 1970s. It was operated by Tentelino Theatres. A third screen was later added by the late-1970s or early-1980s and became the Cine 1-2-3. Two more screens were added by the 1990s and became the Cine 5.
It was closed on February 28, 2023, and never reopened. An October 2024 Google Street View shows that the theater was already dead.
The Plaza Theatre closed in 2001. Nipigon also had an earlier house called the Palace Theatre which operated from the silent days and into World War II.
Heavily edited from my April 25, 2020 (6:19 PM) comment:
The Liberty Theatre operated as early as 1918. It was remodeled on October 10, 1931, and CinemaScope was installed in November 1954. It was twinned during the 1970s and was renamed Coquille Valley Cinema. It was closed in the early-1990s when the furnishings were sold to the Sawdusters for their nearby Roxy Theater that was gutted by a fire a few years later in July 1994.
Opened 1937, not 1947. The Roxy opened with Alice Faye in “You Can’t Have Everything” along with the Merrie Melodies cartoon “A Sunbonnet Blue” and Paramount News, featuring Western Electric Mirrophonic sound.
Opened with Yvonne DeCarlo in “Buccaneer’s Girl” along with the Bugs Bunny cartoon “Hair-Rising Hare”, the Warner Bros. Sports Parade “Holiday For Sports”, and a newsreel.
Renamed the Cascadian Theatre on October 1, 1937 after extensive remodeling, reopening with Ronald Colman in “The Prisoner Of Zenda” along with Pathe News, an unnamed musical short, and an unnamed cartoon.
The Star Theatre opened on June 1, 1912. It was first operated by Bryon Moore and managed by George Simmons, which Simmons at the time arranged with the General Film Company to furnish “Licensed Pictures”.
This theater was the replacement of two movie theaters that were named Cave City Theatre. After the first Cave City Theatre was destroyed by a fire on October 11, 1946, a backup movie theater opened nearby with the same name. While the backup was still in operation, the M&R (Musil and Roberts) Theater company constructed the quonset hut theater with an estimate $35,000, opening as the “? Theatre” on June 14, 1947 with Rosalind Russell in “Sister Kenny” along with an unnamed Popeye cartoon and a newsreel.
Throughout the first three months of operation, it was named the “? Theatre” because the M&R chain didn’t give out a name for the theater. It wasn’t until September 29, 1947 when a special theater-naming contest award announcement was held after a screening of “Home Sweet Homicide”, and the theater was immediately renamed the Ivy Theatre after the ceremony.
The Sunset Theatre briefly became a haunted house in October 1975 but immediately returned to screening movies afterward. The theater closed for a brief time in March 1976 for remodeling, and reopened as the Sandy Cinema on June 9, 1976 by W.E. “Bill” Davis.
The Sandy Cinema received a brief closure again from November 8, 1977 until reopening on May 5, 1978 after being purchased by John Kent, a Chicagoan native and newspaperman who also worked for a lumber and hardware store in the town with the popular unusual name of Boring. After reopening again, it was renamed the Sandy Theatre, not to be confused with an earlier Sandy Theatre nearby that operated from July 1946 until February 1958.
The theater was still operating into the mid-1980s, although its closing date remains unconfirmed.
Opened with a one-day showing of Claude Gillingwater in “Three Wise Fools” supported by the theater’s orchestra and the original Mammoth “Smith Unit” pipe organ, otherwise no extras. The Coliseum Theatre also replaced the nearby Gem Theatre, which closed three days beforehand.
The Joy Theatre, named after Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Bush’s daughter Joy, opened its doors on May 4, 1928 with William Boyd in “Skyscraper” and an unnamed vaudeville act with no extras.
Information about the Joy Theatre as of 1928 goes as follows: The entire building was built out of solid concrete with a stucco finish, complete in fireproof, and outside the theater features a mission-style box office with a Spanish type tiling around the bottom. The original facade of the building in exterior stucco features a creative look of five cast-staffed ornaments. The large center one is a satyr with a harp and lion’s head on either side, and the original marquee as of 1928 is wine-colored on the top and gray underneath with 40 lights in total. The roof is tile with a tile coping in the front, and the store windows are heavy-plated glass with small transoms and top lights enclosed with woodwork.
Going inside, the original foyer, main aisles, and stairways are all covered with a Wilton pile carpet, and the lighting fixtures feature hammered glass in lantern effects. A large overstuffed occasional chair, two floor lamps, two fireside benches, hanging baskets, and a wicker davenport enhance the entirety of the foyer, alongside a drinking fountain and a large mirror. There are both left and right stairways. The right stairways lead to the balcony for the colored, while the left stairways lead to the cry room complete with rocking chairs and occasional chairs alongside a davenport. The men’s restrooms are located to the right of the foyer. The archway to the right leads to the business offices on the first floor. The entire walls of the body are California stucco in a brocade finish. Eight fountain brackets near the ceiling with red and blue lights creates an effect. Four large and hammered mission-styled glass chandeliers with seven bug globes in each other are worked with dimmer effects.
Inside the auditorium as of 1928 featured the original capacity of 560 leather cushioned seats (530 in the orchestra pit and 30 in the balcony). A total of 20 seats in the orchestra pit are upholstered cushioned loges on a carpeted floor behind a railing and was roped off from the rest of the seats. The original organ is an Aeolian manufactured model with arches to the right and left of the proscenium. The grand drape and sides are fireproof velour, with the main arch finished with variegated gold trimming. And lastly, the exit doors are draped with green velour with gold braid and black trimmings.
Built on site of the Thies Garage, the Diane Theatre opened its doors on May 30, 1937 with Charles Ruggles in “Turn Off The Moon” (unknown if extras added).
The Hill Theatre opened its doors on Christmas Day 1937 with Jeanette MacDonald in “The Firefly” (unknown if extras added). It was named after Harry C. Hill, who partnered with Venetian Theatre operator Orange Phelps.
The Venetian Theatre opened its doors by Mr. Orange Phelps on September 4, 1925 with Richard Dix in “The Lucky Devil” along with a few unnamed Paramount shorts and a few musical performances before showing. The Venetian opened just on time for Paramount to celebrate its 8th Annual Paramount Week, which the Venetian received a special honor in its advertisement.
Once operated by Tom Moyer’s Luxury Theatres, later Act III.
Once operated by Tom Moyer’s Luxury Theatres.
Never operated by United Amusement Corp., Ltd.
This first opened as the Cine 1 & 2 during the 1970s. It was operated by Tentelino Theatres. A third screen was later added by the late-1970s or early-1980s and became the Cine 1-2-3. Two more screens were added by the 1990s and became the Cine 5.
It was closed on February 28, 2023, and never reopened. An October 2024 Google Street View shows that the theater was already dead.
The Plaza Theatre closed in 2001. Nipigon also had an earlier house called the Palace Theatre which operated from the silent days and into World War II.
Heavily edited from my April 25, 2020 (6:19 PM) comment:
The Liberty Theatre operated as early as 1918. It was remodeled on October 10, 1931, and CinemaScope was installed in November 1954. It was twinned during the 1970s and was renamed Coquille Valley Cinema. It was closed in the early-1990s when the furnishings were sold to the Sawdusters for their nearby Roxy Theater that was gutted by a fire a few years later in July 1994.
Opened 1937, not 1947. The Roxy opened with Alice Faye in “You Can’t Have Everything” along with the Merrie Melodies cartoon “A Sunbonnet Blue” and Paramount News, featuring Western Electric Mirrophonic sound.
Opened with Yvonne DeCarlo in “Buccaneer’s Girl” along with the Bugs Bunny cartoon “Hair-Rising Hare”, the Warner Bros. Sports Parade “Holiday For Sports”, and a newsreel.
Renamed the Cascadian Theatre on October 1, 1937 after extensive remodeling, reopening with Ronald Colman in “The Prisoner Of Zenda” along with Pathe News, an unnamed musical short, and an unnamed cartoon.
W.H. Hibbert opened the Gay-Way Theatre on December 13, 1939 with Victor McLaglen in “Captain Fury” (unknown if extras added).
The Star Theatre opened on June 1, 1912. It was first operated by Bryon Moore and managed by George Simmons, which Simmons at the time arranged with the General Film Company to furnish “Licensed Pictures”.
Most likely opened on July 17, 1921.
This theater was the replacement of two movie theaters that were named Cave City Theatre. After the first Cave City Theatre was destroyed by a fire on October 11, 1946, a backup movie theater opened nearby with the same name. While the backup was still in operation, the M&R (Musil and Roberts) Theater company constructed the quonset hut theater with an estimate $35,000, opening as the “? Theatre” on June 14, 1947 with Rosalind Russell in “Sister Kenny” along with an unnamed Popeye cartoon and a newsreel.
Throughout the first three months of operation, it was named the “? Theatre” because the M&R chain didn’t give out a name for the theater. It wasn’t until September 29, 1947 when a special theater-naming contest award announcement was held after a screening of “Home Sweet Homicide”, and the theater was immediately renamed the Ivy Theatre after the ceremony.
Closed in 1962.
The Sunset Theatre briefly became a haunted house in October 1975 but immediately returned to screening movies afterward. The theater closed for a brief time in March 1976 for remodeling, and reopened as the Sandy Cinema on June 9, 1976 by W.E. “Bill” Davis.
The Sandy Cinema received a brief closure again from November 8, 1977 until reopening on May 5, 1978 after being purchased by John Kent, a Chicagoan native and newspaperman who also worked for a lumber and hardware store in the town with the popular unusual name of Boring. After reopening again, it was renamed the Sandy Theatre, not to be confused with an earlier Sandy Theatre nearby that operated from July 1946 until February 1958.
The theater was still operating into the mid-1980s, although its closing date remains unconfirmed.
The Film Daily Yearbook appears to be wrong. The Colonial Theatre operated as early as 1937 and was still running as the Colonial into the late-1970s.
The Savoy Theatre closed during the early-2010s and was converted into a fitness center following extensive remodeling.
Opened with a one-day showing of Claude Gillingwater in “Three Wise Fools” supported by the theater’s orchestra and the original Mammoth “Smith Unit” pipe organ, otherwise no extras. The Coliseum Theatre also replaced the nearby Gem Theatre, which closed three days beforehand.
The Joy Theatre, named after Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Bush’s daughter Joy, opened its doors on May 4, 1928 with William Boyd in “Skyscraper” and an unnamed vaudeville act with no extras.
Information about the Joy Theatre as of 1928 goes as follows: The entire building was built out of solid concrete with a stucco finish, complete in fireproof, and outside the theater features a mission-style box office with a Spanish type tiling around the bottom. The original facade of the building in exterior stucco features a creative look of five cast-staffed ornaments. The large center one is a satyr with a harp and lion’s head on either side, and the original marquee as of 1928 is wine-colored on the top and gray underneath with 40 lights in total. The roof is tile with a tile coping in the front, and the store windows are heavy-plated glass with small transoms and top lights enclosed with woodwork.
Going inside, the original foyer, main aisles, and stairways are all covered with a Wilton pile carpet, and the lighting fixtures feature hammered glass in lantern effects. A large overstuffed occasional chair, two floor lamps, two fireside benches, hanging baskets, and a wicker davenport enhance the entirety of the foyer, alongside a drinking fountain and a large mirror. There are both left and right stairways. The right stairways lead to the balcony for the colored, while the left stairways lead to the cry room complete with rocking chairs and occasional chairs alongside a davenport. The men’s restrooms are located to the right of the foyer. The archway to the right leads to the business offices on the first floor. The entire walls of the body are California stucco in a brocade finish. Eight fountain brackets near the ceiling with red and blue lights creates an effect. Four large and hammered mission-styled glass chandeliers with seven bug globes in each other are worked with dimmer effects.
Inside the auditorium as of 1928 featured the original capacity of 560 leather cushioned seats (530 in the orchestra pit and 30 in the balcony). A total of 20 seats in the orchestra pit are upholstered cushioned loges on a carpeted floor behind a railing and was roped off from the rest of the seats. The original organ is an Aeolian manufactured model with arches to the right and left of the proscenium. The grand drape and sides are fireproof velour, with the main arch finished with variegated gold trimming. And lastly, the exit doors are draped with green velour with gold braid and black trimmings.
Renamed the Broadway Theater on October 3, 1941.
Correction: This Pal Theatre replaced an earlier Pal Theatre (formerly the Shadowland Theatre).
Closed on September 4, 1997.
Operated as early as 1909.
Built on site of the Thies Garage, the Diane Theatre opened its doors on May 30, 1937 with Charles Ruggles in “Turn Off The Moon” (unknown if extras added).
The Hill Theatre opened its doors on Christmas Day 1937 with Jeanette MacDonald in “The Firefly” (unknown if extras added). It was named after Harry C. Hill, who partnered with Venetian Theatre operator Orange Phelps.
The Venetian Theatre opened its doors by Mr. Orange Phelps on September 4, 1925 with Richard Dix in “The Lucky Devil” along with a few unnamed Paramount shorts and a few musical performances before showing. The Venetian opened just on time for Paramount to celebrate its 8th Annual Paramount Week, which the Venetian received a special honor in its advertisement.