Scott Cinemas-Central Cinema Barnstaple
77 Boutport Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Scott Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Scott Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Gaumont Palace Theatre, Gaumont Theatre, Odeon, Classic Cinema, Astor Cinema
Built as a replacement for the Theatre Royal which was closed in February 1930 and demolished. It was a joint venture for Albany Ward (a division of Gaumont British Theatres Ltd.), Gaumont British and Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT). The Gaumont Palace Theatre opened on 3rd August 1931 with Eddie Cantor in "Whoopee".
It was designed by Bristol based architect William Henry Watkins, assisted by Percy Bartlett. Located in a narrow street, the facade has two fluted pilasters on each side of a large central window. Two of these pilasters are topped with theatrical masks.
Inside the auditorium, seating was arranged for 702 in the stalls and 422 in the circle. There is a triple-cove rectangular proscenium which contained concealed lighting. Along the top of the proscenium is a decorative feature which has the initials ‘GP’. There is a rather ‘old fashioned’ style barrel ceiling and concealed lighting.
It was re-named Gaumont in 1937 and was re-named Odeon by the Rank Organisation from 21st October 1962. Taken over by Classic Cinemas Ltd. on 9th December 1967, it was re-named Classic Cinema.
They instigated a policy of part-week films and part-week bingo. Eventually the building was twinned with bingo operating full time downstairs in the former stalls and the Classic Cinema operating full time upstairs in the former circle. In 1982, it was taken over by an independent operator and re-named Astor Cinema with seating for 360 in the former circle. Eventually the bingo operation closed.
In the mid-1990’s it was taken over by the independent Scott Cinemas circuit and in around 2000, they created three screens in the former stalls area. Currently Screen 1 in the former circle seats 332, Screen’s 2 and 3 in the former rear stalls each have seating for 90 and Screen 4 in the former front stalls has 126 seats. There is a plan to add a fifth screen soon. The Central Cinema has a Licenced restaurant/bar in the circle foyer and is now fully air-conditioned.
The Central Cinema is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.