
Mt. Vernon Drive-In
1330 E. 4th Street,
Mount Vernon,
IN
47620
1330 E. 4th Street,
Mount Vernon,
IN
47620
No one has favorited this theater yet
Additional Info
Nearby Theaters
The Mount Vernon Drive-In was opened on May 11, 1950 when it was operated by Thomas Baldwin & John H. Leffel. The opening movie was the 1949 baseball comedy “It Happens Every Spring” starring Ray Milland. It had a 400-car capacity. By 1952 it was operated by Joseph Nickolick, who was still the operator in 1956.
It had closed by the late-1950’s, but reopened in August 1960. It was torn down in the late-1960’s. A funeral home is on the site of the drive-in today.
Contributed by
James R Griffin

Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 4 comments)
“The Mount Vernon (Indiana) Drive-In, which has been closed for some time, is to be opened the second week in August.” — Boxoffice, Aug. 1, 1960
Boxoffice, April 27, 1964: “Paul Love, motion picture advertising service salesman and longtime exhibitor, has purchased the Mount Vernon Drive-In in the town by that name from Joe Nickolick. He opened the airer for three-night weekend operation April 10.”
This drive-in was opened before 1952.
Boxoffice, April 26, 1952: “The Mount Vernon Drive-In on Road 62 has reopened for the season under the management of new owners John and Stephen Miles and Mary and Joe Nickelick. They also own and operate the Sunset Drive-In on Highway 41 north of Evansville. An extensive remodeling program has been undertaken at the Mount Vernon Drive-In during the off season. The concession stand has been rearranged."
A 1950 aerial shows the drive-in still under construction, although it is nearly complete.
A 1958 aerial is more interesting because it shows a playground having been installed in front of the screen, something that was not there in a 1956 aerial. It’s all still there a year later.
So, a good question was when did the drive-in close during the 1950s, only to re-open in 1960. I guess it depends on what the phrase “closed for some time” means.
Because it makes little sense to build a playground if the drive-in was closed. But if it was still open in 1957/58 when it was built, then “closed for some time” would only mean a year or two.
By 1973 the drive-in had been demolished with a building located where the screen used to be.