Osage Drive-In

4215 S. Staples Street,
Corpus Christi, TX 78412

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Rowley United Theatres Inc.

Nearby Theaters

Osage Drive-In

The Osage Drive-In was opened on March 16, 1951 with Joel McCrea in “Frenchie”. By 1957 it was operated by Rowley United Theatres Inc. It operated until September 5, 1960. A 1961 aerial shows the theatre in the process of being demolished. By the 1970’s, a cluster of car dealerships was built on the site.

Contributed by Bobby P.

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

Yakima1 on May 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

Address: 4841 Staples at Everhart (4801 S. Staples today) | Capacity: 550 cars | Opened: Thursday Mar 16, 1951 | First Feature: “Frenchie” starring Joel McCrea, Shelley Winters | Owner / Builder: Chester Kyle and Lester Miller | Closed: Monday Sep 5, 1960 (Last ad in Caller) | Currently (2010): Frost Bank and BMW of Corpus Christi | Chester Kyle was part owner of the Kinsgville drive-ins with a different partner. He opened this drive-in in Mar 1951 and surprisingly sold out to Corpus Christi Theaters a little more than 6 months later. This would be the first drive-in for CC Theaters who held all of the many indoor theaters in Corpus. They closed down for several weeks in the Spring of 1952 while they remodeled and upgraded this very new theater adding a train track around the perimeter for their new attraction, a replica of the Missouri-Pacific streamliner “The Texas Eagle”. The ad logo changed from the Indian Chief’s head to The Texas Eagle Train. The grand re-opening was May 8, 1952.

View link

rivest266 on November 27, 2020 at 5:35 pm

Opened on March 16th, 1951. Grand opening ad posted.

davidcoppock on November 28, 2020 at 4:24 am

Also opened with a cartoon(not named) and “Savage splendor”.

davidcoppock on November 28, 2020 at 4:28 am

Formal opening on 8/5/1952 with a Tom and Jerry cartoon carnival and “Frontier gal”. Why the name Osage?

davidcoppock on November 28, 2020 at 4:36 am

The train track at this drive-in was two miles long(huge drive-in site?). Did the entrance and exit roads go across the train tracks?

davidcoppock on November 28, 2020 at 4:37 am

Does this train survive someplace else now?

dallasmovietheaters on September 23, 2021 at 3:52 am

The Osage Drive-In ends its run with a Labor Day weekend triple feature of “Nature Girl and the Slaver,” “The Queen of Sheeba” and “The Alligator People” on September 5, 1960 with the drive-in began to be dismantled the next day.

Kenmore on December 27, 2022 at 6:49 pm

A closer address is 4215 S Staples St, Corpus Christi, TX.

A 1956 aerial shows a drive-in at this location which is now the Covenant Baptist Church.

A 1960 aerial shows the drive-in demolished. Today, there is no trace of the drive-in remaining.


You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.