2045 East Monument Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Durkee, F.H., Enterprises
Functions: Office Space
Styles: Spanish Renaissance
The State Theatre opened on April 16, 1927, just a few blocks down the street from the Red Wing Theatre. It was built for the Durkee organization, and was the largest of Baltimore’s neighbourhood movie theatres. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 Manual 7 Ranks theatre organ which was opened by organist John Decker. The State Theatre presented movies and vaudeville. There was a 20-lane bowling alley in the basement, which opened several months before the theatre.
The State Theatre was closed on December 1, 1963 with “Phantom Planet” and “Terror From the Year 5000”. It became a gospel church for several years. Today the interior has been converted into office space by John Hopkins Hospital. Although the marquee has long been gone, much of the original façade remains intact as of January 4, 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.