
Royal Theatre
23 Seddon Street,
Raetihi
4632
No one has favorited this theater yet
In Raetihi, a small town in the Manawatū-Whanganui region on the North Island, which was founded in 1893, the Royal Theatre opened in 1915. It had been built by John Punch and Alexander Bennett, who had operated a timber milling business in the town from 1893 to 1908. (They had also erected a hall at the junction of Seddon Street and Duncan Street in 1900, but that burnt down in 1904.)
The Royal Theatre is a large concrete structure with an iron roof and a balcony supported by decorated metal pillars. There are large arched windows either side of the entrance, which had heavy wooden doors. The projection room was accessed via a steep ladder; later on a lift was installed for the heavy film cans. The first projectionist was Charlie Martin. John Punch’s wife manned the box office, while John ‘patrolled the aisles’ until he appointed Mr Chittenden as the manager. Small children would hang around at the front, having spent their money on sweets from the shop near the entrance: they would often be let in, provided they kept quiet and sat in the front seats. A pianist accompanied the films.
Tragedy struck on 18th March 1918 when a fire broke out in the town which destroyed many buildings. Fortunately, the Royal Theatre survived – and, indeed, it opened for religious services as the town’s two churches had burnt down.
In 1924 John Punch (who had presumably bought out Alexander Bennett) sold the Royal Theatre to Harry Thompson, who operated cinemas in nearby Okahune (see separate Cinema Treasures entries).
Live shows were included in the film programming. On one occasion, a temporary stage was installed for a recital by a Women’s Division choir. Unfortunately, it collapsed, and the ladies fell into the void below. It is said that the pianist wondered where they had gone! On another occasion a magician was somersaulting backwards when he fell off the stage and was unable to continue his act. During the 1930’s pantomimes and plays were presented under the management of Nancy Ciochetto.
However, after the war, the live entertainment moved to a dance hall across the street, and it never returned.
In around 1942 Harry Thompson re-designed the interior, re-siting the projection room to the balcony (presumably from the rear stalls). Wall heaters were installed.
In 1943 Wally Watson became the assistant projectionist to Sonny Ciochetto.
Harry died in September 1947. He was succeeded by his widow Emily until March 1979, when their son Bruce took over. He was assisted by his wife Lesley and their three children: Andrew, who started working in the projection box at the age of 14, while still at Ruapehu College, and Brenda and Alison, who worked as cashiers and ushers. Hec Pert became the chief projectionist later on, assisted by Steve Whitehead.
The Royal Theatre closed in December 1994 with the animated adventure “Once Upon a Forest”.
The building was sold to be converted into a fitness centre, but it was promptly sold on to a group who saw its potential as a multi-purpose hall and arranged a full restoration.
It is now managed by the Theatre Royal (Waimarino) Charitable Trust, and is available for hire for a wide variety of events.
(With thanks to Bruce Thompson, who gave me access to his book “Do Not Put Your Feet on Heaters”, which chronicles his family’s cinema history.)

Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.