Art East Cinema
1105 1st Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: First Avenue Screening Room, Byron Cinema, Eastworld Cinema, York Cinema
The First Avenue Screening Room was small cinema that opened on 1st Avenue on May 17, 1973 with “Memories of Underdevelopment”. It was programmed by Fabiano Canosa and known for presenting neglected, hard-to-market, and shelved films of merit. The New York Film Critics Circle gave Mr. Canosa an award in 1974 “for his innovative programs at the First Avenue Screening Room”.
On March 19, 1975 it was renamed Byron Theatre and operated as a gay adult movie theatre, opening with “The Devil and Mr. Jones”. The Byron Cinema became the Eastworld Cinema in 1980 to 1981. In 1982 until 1990 it operated as Art East Cinema. In 1991 it was briefly renamed York Cinema and played regular recent movies, and then went back to the Art East Cinema name until it closed in 1994.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.