Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,002 comments

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

bigjoe59, the answer might be “EDWARD SCISSORHANDS”.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hello to All-

has anyone remembered what the last new studio film to play this theater on an exclusive run was? obviously such films as the restored Vertigo and the special 2 week runs of The Princess and the Frog and Dreamgirls before they opened wide don’t count. I can’t remember so thanks for the assistance.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm

cmbussmann loud previews seems to be the thing. We have Regal and Carolina cinemas here and the loudness of the previews is ridiculous.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm

This is the most famous Bow Tie Cinema in the world.

Bruce C.
Bruce C. on September 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

I love this theater and make an attempt to go each time I am in NYC. Personally, I am not concerned with the curtain. I am more annoyed by rude audience members (using cell phones, talking, etc.) but they won’t keep me from going to the movies.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 18, 2014 at 6:56 am

Hadn’t been to the Ziegfeld in awhile, not since Bow Tie took over, and I thought they had the place looking nice. My only complaint (I’m not as big on the curtain as others here are) is that the previews were way too loud, much louder than the feature. I was tempted to get my earplugs out!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2014 at 5:17 am

I like that photo, the one with the curtain. I posted it. I’ve taken my own photos but not as nice as this one. During the years we weren’t allowed to post photos, somebody sent that photo to me with the request that I share it, which is what I did. Haven’t seen the curtain close at the Ziegfeld in a while, so can’t take new photos with current camera of it closed.

Today’s movie theaters are starting to also not even use masking! New multiplexes & redone movie houses have decided that with digital film, masking isn’t needed, even when the screen isn’t filled with the movie image. So we keep going further away from proper presentations….

Vito
Vito on September 10, 2014 at 3:14 am

Thanks for speaking out against that photo with the curtain open. I cringe every time I see it, a harsh reminder of what our theatres have changed for the worst. A naked screen must never be shown in a theatre like the Ziegfeld. Leave that to the little boxes they call theatres theses days. I too will click on to the proper picture to keep it alive thanks for the hint.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

It is changed based on the number of views each photo gets. The one with the most views gets to be on the front page of the listing. I went in and looked at the closed curtain photo ten times, to help boost its numbers and keep it up front. It’s currently on page six of the photos, so jump to that page and have a look. Or ten.

markp
markp on September 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

To whoever keeps changing the photo, please leave the one with the curtain closed, as opposed to the one with the screen ad showing on the screen.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

The AMC, Bowtie and City Cinema discounts are good seven days a week, not just on the weekends. Bowtie offers the discount at its Chelsea house and all other locations but not at its Ziegfeld location.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 8, 2014 at 11:29 am

Hello to All-

in reference to Al A.’s comment about the 3 big AMC multiplexes being cash cows. you have to remember these three big complexes have a policy of discount prices before 12:00p.m. on Fri., Sat. and Sun. for any film regular, 3D or IMAX. I’m surprised this theater doesn’t offer the discount.

oddly enough eventhough this policy is the reason for these three multiplexes raking in the bucks for early shows Fri., Sat. & Sun. which they’ve been doing for years the Regal 42 St. multiplex and the Regal Union Square 14 multiplex still don’t offer the discount. I think the only other chain to offer the before 12:00p.m. discount on Fri., Sat and Sun. is City Cinemas.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Exactly my point, bigjoe59. The crowd for “Les Miserables” on 42nd street didn’t have to wait at all. There was a screening starting every few minutes with immediate seating. That is how those two cash cows on 42nd street outgross most of the country with the possible exception of Lincoln Square.

If you were a distributor would you bypass 42nd street to protect the Ziegfeld? You may do it for a few days just for prestige as “DREAMGIRLS” did, but much longer. Moviemakers just can’t afford that anymore.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hello to All-

we are having a lively discussion aren’t we? Al A. makes some valid points but it is still my belief that the one main reason the Ziegfeld rarely has a full house is because whatever big film plays there is also playing at 12 other theaters in Manhattan. its NOT because of the location. after all if the theater was hard to find why was the 1st show of the day of Les Miserables the day after Christmas 2012 rather well attended? not only that but when I left the theater there was a line half down 54th St. for the next show.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 6, 2014 at 10:18 pm

When the Rialto was showing The Devil in Miss Jones nobody seemed to complain about subway noise…!

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Yes, that one.

It was a wonderful brand new 70mm TWIN theatre with brand new seats and trademark Cineplex faux marble that failed miserably because it was too close to 42nd Street.

The two biggest hits I can remember there were “UNCLE BUCK” and the move-over of “LAWRENCE” in gorgeous 70mm.

Twin 2 (Rialto 2) never made it pass day two due to subway noise.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm

The Warner nee Rialto? Entrance on Seventh? I went there a few times after Cineplex Odeon revamped it, but don’t remember that Lawrence played there.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Let us not forget that Walter Reade and Cineplex Odeon used their clout to drive films to the Ziegfeld, something Clearview and Bow Tie don’t have.

Also, when “LAWRENCE OF ARABIA” moved to the loser Warner on 42nd street late in that run, business picked up.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I’m proud to be a faithful Ziegfeld customer. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was the most recent time I went out of my way to see a movie there. I understand all the reasons why, but it’s still sad to see so many empty seats. I’ll never forget people desperately hunting down a place to sit before a sold-out Lawrence of Arabia show began (1989). Those were the days.

It’s easier to get home from the Empire 25 on 42nd St. – it should be, anyway, but it takes about 10 minutes to get out of that building. It all evens out. Better off going to the Ziegfeld.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Property values are a curious thing.

I love the Ziegfeld. It was my office for many years and the best screen in Manhattan. It is the best theatre in Manhattan for people who love big movies. That does not take away from reality.

The Ziegfeld is still there ONLY because nobody wants that location.

Yet.

But it is NOT a choice location to open a major movie. And it never was.

NYer
NYer on September 5, 2014 at 6:30 pm

AlAvarez you seem to take glee in repeating other theaters out gross The Ziegfeld. The Coronet was smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood, surrounded by high rise apartment buildings and 42nd Street has had a neighborhood resurgence over 8th Ave. People who go to The Ziegfeld, go because they want to be there, even if it’s not next door. The one thing you haven’t mentioned about the much more successful Coronet, it ain’t there anymore.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Not really a matter of finding it but rather finding a better located place to see the same movie.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

No one has a problem finding the theatre, it’s main problem is the shifting movie patterns in the city . I have worked there when we have done $60,000 a day

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I have stated before, audiences DID have a problem finding it, hence the Coronet day and date openings in the eighties and nineties. A 100 seat screen on 42nd street can still outgross it.