Ziegfeld Theatre

141 W. 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,442 comments

dfc
dfc on August 17, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Saw ‘Close Encounters’ at the Ziegfeld in 1978. Still have the movie program somewhere. Fantastic theater compared to the dumps we had in Brooklyn.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 2, 2017 at 7:57 am

Even though this theater wasn’t THX-certified like others, it had the best screen and sound system in the area.

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 1, 2017 at 1:57 pm

New Orleans' Whorehouse. Yes, exactly! That’s hilarious.

By the way I read somewhere in an interview with George Cukor probably sometime during the 70s and he couldn’t understand the love people had for the movie palaces. He thought they were pretty tacky!

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on July 1, 2017 at 7:02 am

By “movie premieres,” I think they mean catering facilities for parties following “premieres” held elsewhere.

markp
markp on June 30, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I have to say the renderings have nothing of the old place left. I think its a real shame what its going to look like.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 30, 2017 at 3:53 pm

In those renderings, I don’t see anything from the Ziegfeld movie theater. Maybe the stairway is where it is, but nothing at all looks the same. Gutted. If it looks similar on the exterior, good! but we can forget about the interior.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2017 at 1:01 pm

There’s a stage in the diagrams, which is probably where the screen will be, but it looks like the seating will be individual tables and chairs. I guess I should just be grateful they didn’t tear the place down.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 30, 2017 at 11:42 am

Sounds interesting. I wonder if they’ll have new projection and recliner seats?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2017 at 11:38 am

The Ziegfeld we knew and loved is gone, but here’s what they’re calling “the next act”. They mention movie premieres, so there must be a screening room somewhere in the building. Opens in the fall. Hope I get to go inside someday, but right now I don’t see how. Maybe they’ll have an off-hours tour for the general public?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 30, 2017 at 5:15 am

Of course, I miss the Ziegfeld. In the Midtown area, there’s one other wonderful single theater still showing daily movies, the Paris, where I love to see movies. The marquee is always decorated with the movie title. There’s no multitude of black box auditoriums inside. There’s one wonderful auditorium with its balcony open, its curtains used, and 1st rate projection & surround sound. I hope people who miss moviegoing that’s not in a plex will attend the Paris!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2017 at 1:02 am

Still hard to believe that the Ziegfeld is gone, along with almost all the other theaters vindanpar mentions (except Cinema I and II, I think). And in a city like New York. I wish NYC were more like Los Angeles in that regard.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 29, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I think the love really came when it was the only one left…

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 29, 2017 at 8:41 pm

By the way, the Cinema 1 & 2, Beekman, Little Carnegie and Baronet/Coronet always outgrossed it, so you may have a point there.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm

vindanpar, the opening was described as “NEW ORLEANS WHOREHOUSE”. The closing was called “CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD GLAMOUR CRUSHED VELVET DECOR”. I loved the Ziegfeld.

Welcome to Cinema Treasures.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 29, 2017 at 7:53 pm

A large gaudy red wallpapered shoebox. With gold curtain and accents.

Never understood the love for this theater when there were the Rivoli, the Criterion and the Warner Cinerama still around into the 80s. Great theaters.

All of them were worth preserving but not this one. Yeah I know I’m in the minority but boy was I disappointed when I first entered it in ‘72.

I never got its mystique and I went quite a few times only because it often had movies I wanted to see. I just wished I was seeing them in other NY cinemas. Even east side places like Cinema 1, the Beekman, the Little Carnegie(ok midtown) and the Coronet were far superior.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 25, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Eisner wanted just that. Drabinsky did not.

thebrat
thebrat on June 25, 2017 at 6:57 pm

I always thought Disney should’ve purchased the Ziegfeld and make it their East Coast version of El Capitan. What a shame, it could have lived on for longer then.

The_Batman_Professor
The_Batman_Professor on June 23, 2017 at 10:13 pm

This was THE PLACE. First film I saw here was THE JAZZ SINGER (1980) and the last was BLADE RUNNER FINAL CUT. What a tragedy that this palace is no more.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 15, 2017 at 12:24 pm

If this theater still played movies, me and my dad would have enough money to buy some tickets and go see a movie and reserve a seat like the good old days. The reserved seating for movies has been around since the roadshow era but has gained popularity by the major chains recently due to renovations of older theaters that have worn out seats. Imagine if the Ziegfeld had recliners had Bow Tie continued to operate it. Some of the bow tie theaters around the area have closed due to lease expirations.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2017 at 7:08 am

Movieholic: that would have been a great way to save the Ziegfeld. If I was a billionaire, I’d have paid for it myself.

Movieholic
Movieholic on June 15, 2017 at 4:54 am

Though I’d only visited this amazing theater three times in the past two decades before it closed I still miss it terribly. It’s a shame the owners couldn’t find a way to keep it going. If it had gone the route of, say, the Egyptian in Los Angeles and focused strictly on revivals maybe it would have survived.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2017 at 3:14 am

How sad that all we can do now is look back to the good old days at the Ziegfeld. To be honest, I never thought it would actually close. I always figured it would be saved by landmark status or something like that.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 14, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I just finished watching Stanley Kubrick’s Barry Lyndon, and I had similar memories from when it was the Christmas 1975 attraction at the Ziegfeld, and how beautiful it looked and sounded from the 5th row.

markp
markp on June 14, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Just finished watching Interstellar on fx and it brought back a flood of memories when I saw this movie here in 70MM. I could still picture myself and my wife sitting there with the awesome bright picture and amazing audio.