Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1 - 25 of 4,393 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 27, 2016 at 10:07 am

How about reposting it now? So we don’t have to dig through the archives….

Coate
Coate on April 27, 2016 at 9:26 am

I guess no one remembers that I posted a chronological Ziegfeld bookings list several years ago which included many of the details recently discussed here (i.e. bookings during a newspaper strike period, the Kirk Douglas retrospective, presentation formats, corrected opening dates, etc.). But I guess it’s easy to overlook it when there’s 176 pages of comments! Or, maybe it’s being purposely ignored as with many of my contributions made on this website. :–( Anyway, my list, which was intended to expand upon the list initially posted a couple years earlier by Al Alvarez (the one everyone keeps referring to), was posted a decade at a time during April 2008 and currently appears on comment pages 66 & 68. It only covered the 1969-99 period, though, and, unfortunately, since the website redesign, the formatting and layout of the listing is a bit wonky and some of it amounts to a bunch of coding gibberish. So…I guess my point to this comment is that maybe I ought to consider reaching out to Al Alvarez and see if maybe we can blend our work together and put together a definitive list.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 19, 2016 at 10:32 am

yesterday (Friday) the exterior looked the same except the movie poster cases & movie poster area of the marquee had been boarded over. And, you couldn’t see in from the outside. Workers were entering into a door on the fountain pool side, where paper notices stated Notice of Asbestos Abatement, which likely means gutting is going on inside. I posted 3 photos, one of the marquee side, and 2 of the fountain pool side including the notice.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on March 17, 2016 at 11:41 am

I read that the audio system from the Ziegfeld ended up at the newly opened Metrograph!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 16, 2016 at 11:26 am

Which Sony stopped doing in 2007. Surf’s Up was the last movie to feature 8 channel SDDS according to Wikipedia. Giles, most theaters that were equipped with 8 channel recievers replaced them with Dolby Digital surround ex, 7.1, and atmos. Atmos and home is similar to what SDDS would’ve been at home. Sony never developed a home version of SDDS for media consumption yet the movies that were mixed for SDDS also were mixed for dolby digital and dts and pcm.

Giles
Giles on March 16, 2016 at 6:56 am

it helps tremendously BobbyS, that 70mm can also sound great with the five channels of sound behind the screen – something that DCP applications has yet to achieve, Dolby Atmos can do it, but no one has hard encoded five front sound since the release of 8-channel SDDS movies.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 16, 2016 at 12:02 am

In Chicago, the Music Box Theater just finished a 70 mm week of ten days. They put up a large temp screen wall to wall in front of the stage. with special sound. Saw “Cleopatra” &“Lawrence of Arabia”“2001”..So beautiful & clear and bright colors. This is their 3rd year and first with new sceen. Puts Dlp or Dcp digital to shame. Go to their website to see if they still have the booklet to view. Radio City should show these films as a special event. Our theater was full! Oh, It was beautifully masked. AMC ruined Loews when they bought it.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 14, 2016 at 5:38 pm

What do you mean by this? How can a patron look out for this happening?

John Fink
John Fink on March 14, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I saw an advance screening of Hateful Eight at Cinema 1,2,3 and in 70MM and the presentation was flawless including proper masking (something lacking in standard multiplexes). Too bad they didn’t show it during the general release.

I believe the Zig’s equipment was donated to FSLC and installed at Walter Reade which is a nice screening room so they definitely have 70MM (IMHO – digital or film FSLC constantly has the best presentation in town – Loews Lincoln Center has the same crappy presentation all AMCs do with Real D filters left on for 2D).

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Loews Lincoln Sq shows 70mm IMAX, but haven’t been showing regular 70mm to my knowledge. In addition to Village East, Walter Reade Theatre has had classic 70mm festivals. And, City Cinemas 1,2,3 has shown new 70 mm, soon the Batman vs Superman.

robboehm
robboehm on March 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Time will tell, moviebuff. I’m sure they’re not monitoring Cinema Treasures for suggestions.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 14, 2016 at 11:46 am

Maybe AMC Loews Lincoln Square or Village East to name a few places to show 70mm film, JackIndiana.

JackIndiana
JackIndiana on March 14, 2016 at 8:51 am

Now who’s going to run the restored 70MM version of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in NYC? Nothing like seeing it at the Ziegfeld.

NYer
NYer on March 2, 2016 at 9:32 am

If you look in the photo section, I have posted ads of some of the The Ziegfeld’s exclusives. If a picture opened in the suburbs, they were included in the ad, see “A Star Is Born” or “White Nights”. “Pink Floyd’s The Wall”, “Quest For Fire”, Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation Of Christ” were all here only.“Anastasia” even states The Ziegfeld is the only theater in the world playing it.

SethLewis
SethLewis on March 2, 2016 at 12:39 am

Fellini’s Roma or Sleuth arguably the last NY exclusives that did not day date with the suburbs

patryan6019
patryan6019 on March 1, 2016 at 8:07 pm

So if you remember them you should be able to answer your own question. Maybe that friend you mentioned days ago can help or is he only tv curious.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 1, 2016 at 3:06 pm

to Mike-

for the first several years the Ziegfeld did have 1st runs that were paired with a UA theater on Long Island and a UA theater in New Jersey. this is how Earthquake was exhibited. granted this wasn’t an exclusive run for the NYC area but it was an exclusive for Manhattan. on the other hand I do remember a few that were exclusive for the entire NYC area. so which ever type it was what the last exclusive run of a big studio film at the Ziegfeld?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 1, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I don’t think the Ziegfeld ever had a traditional open-ended exclusive run, but you can review the lists I re-posted earlier of nearly every movie that played here and check the dates of the engagements.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 1, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hello-

I should have been more precise in my question. when I asked what was the last time the studios used the Ziegfeld for an exclusive 1st run Manhattan engagement I should have said those special one or two week runs of say Dreamgirls, The Princess and the Frog and Nine before they opened wide don’t count. I mean a regular open ended run.

patryan6019
patryan6019 on February 29, 2016 at 8:56 pm

The last exclusive run was “Nine” for one week.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Hello to All- as much as I try not to think about it makes me sad whenever I think of the fact that the last single screen movie palace in Manhattan as closed. the interesting point being that the 1st movie palace built in Manhattan the Regent at 116 St. and Lenox Ave. is still with us. though its been a church for 46? years I hear they’ve kept the interior at least in darn good shape.

which got me thinking. after their debut at Koster and Bial’s Music Hall in April of 1896 movies took off like wildfire. now no movie theaters existed so for the first few years of the biz whatever picture houses existed in Manhattan were music halls, vaudeville or even legitimate theaters that were converted to show movies. but what was the very 1st theater built brick by brick from the ground up with the intent of being a picture house to use the old term.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2016 at 9:02 am

I’ve added a comment to the photo so it would confuse everybody else, too.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2016 at 8:55 am

Howard: that was in response to bigjoe59 asking for the TV listings for a certain day in 1950. Nothing to do with the Ziegfeld, but I didn’t know how else to post the image so he could see it.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2016 at 8:12 am

Bill, on Feb 8 you added a “Leading Events Today” item to the photo gallery but I don’t see Ziegfeld relevance. Was something cut off the item or what don’t I understand?