Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 226 - 250 of 4,406 comments

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 3, 2015 at 9:50 am

Their sound system is Dolby 7.1 (clearly more modern as 7.1 sound I think first debuted in 2010), I’ve seen an animated logo for it before their films.

Like their sound, projection is also great, figured it was 4K but good to have that confirmed (theaters rarely distinguish between 4K and 2K digital projection in their marketing from what I’ve seen).

ziegfeldquestions
ziegfeldquestions on November 3, 2015 at 8:31 am

@movieguy:

thank you so much for your efficient, quick reply. very helpful.

it’s odd that if they were to have 4K digital projection, and some type of modern, up to date sound system, that they won’t tout it or list it on their own website’s page for the Ziegfeld! most theaters all scream with multiple acronyms for this sound system, that projection system, Dolby Pro this, Dolby Pro that!

as you know that the projection system is 4K, i’m now wondering what type of sound system they have? is it antiquated and dated? i.e. old Dolby from 20 years ago? Or, one of the modern Dolby systems?

thanks again! hope to hear more!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 3, 2015 at 8:30 am

Saturday night at the movies,

Who cares what picture you see

when you’re huggin' with your baby

in the last row in the balcony?

movieguy
movieguy on November 3, 2015 at 8:12 am

I was there for the Martian mission impossible rogue nation and the back to the future trilogy. They are digital 4K for projection. The sound system is very good crisp and clear but not overly loud and booming like the multiplexes. The presentation of movies there is quite excellent. Definitely worth going to the theater to see any movie they are screening

ziegfeldquestions
ziegfeldquestions on November 3, 2015 at 7:52 am

I’m going to go in a week’s time to the Ziegfeld, and was wondering what level of sound system as well as projection system they have? Have they kept up with the times and technology, or, have they merely let the beauty of the place sell itself and am now seriously lagging behind in terms of sound and projection technology?

On the Bow Tie website, it merely says “all digital projection”. Not one word about the sound, nor the type of projection system. Often, theaters tout their sound system with a number of brand name acronyms, and ditto for their projection system.

My fear is that this doesn’t bode well for the quality of their current sound/projection system. Usually, if they don’t want to talk about it, it’s usually something they aren’t proud of.

Look forward to hearing from the good folks who are very knowledgeable here on this forum.

Thanks.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 2, 2015 at 7:11 pm

As I am familiar with the management, I can assure everybody that the theater is still operated by Bow Tie. I rather like seeing the A Walter Eeade Theater sign again, but they have not risen from the dead to retake the cinema.

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I think we can conclude 100% that it is still run and managed by Bow Tie. When I asked about why the sign calling in a bowtie theater was gone from the marquee. The manager John said The sign had come down and broken and it was going to be put back up

NYer
NYer on November 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm

“A Walter Reade Theater” was built into the marquee. It’s permanent. Clearview and Bow Tie used banners to cover it. Perhaps the banner simply blew away.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Why would they remove the name from the building ???

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 3:28 pm

In addition all the workers still wear the outfits of bowtie cinemas. With the bowtie logo on the nameplates on their uniforms

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I just called the theaters box office line and they answer “thank you for calling Bow Tie Zigfeld Theatre”

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Could be but the name is gone .

movieguy
movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm

You call the theaters recorded line and it says that it is a bowtie cinema. If you go to the bowtie website the theater is still listed as being under the bow tie chain. When I went to go see the Martian. Followed by the back to the future trilogy. I used my AAA discount pass for Bow Tie So I think the information that bowtie is no longer running it is incorrect

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I think when they took down bow tie the old Walter Reade name was there.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Maybe Reade is the original leaseholder and all subsequent operators were sub-lessees.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know…!) “The Walter Reade Organization] filed for bankruptcy in 1977, emerging four years later. Columbia Pictures purchased 81% of the organization in 1981, buying the company completely in 1985, but later sold it to the Cineplex Odeon Corporation on June 26, 1987.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 2, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I thought Bow Tie was operating it for Cablevision. Does anyone know why the marquee suddenly mysteriously reads A Walter Reade Theater?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It is stuck in limbo with no operating company behind it … ( like a bow tie ) I know that they are looking for a way out of the lease .

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Death knell? (spelled with a k) Maybe, maybe not.

But if the Ziegfeld could talk, I’d hope it would quote Mark Twain: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Hello-

to longislandmovies I never said that you said this theater’s days are numbered. I should have said
its been said by countless other people in the past year or two. to which since you’re so convinced that it would be a miracle if this theater made it to 2017 what hot inside info do you have that foreshadows the theater’s demise?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I have been on this site since day one and never said before the days are numbered . I hope but would be shocked if it makes it to 2017.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Hello-

according to longislandmovies this theater is
living on borrowed time and from what he/she knows
however they it know it the theater will close
sometime in 2016. the death nell for the Ziegfeld
has been announced many times some rather recently.
so I wonder what hot inside info longislandmovies
has. remember the air rights were sold to the
nearby luxury London hotelso if God forbid the
Ziegfeld were razed they wouldn’t be able to
build any building larger than the theater
itself.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 1, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Peter Apruzzese. I thought it was. I know there is no theater that has 70mm capacity in Asheville NC. I would travel within the state or SC if I can find a theater that still had 70mm projectors

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on November 1, 2015 at 3:46 pm

“The 50th anniversary print of My fair Lady may have been. The scope on the screen seemed different from the scope previwes. The masking which lowers top and bottom rather then side to side was opened when the film started and the aspect ratio seemed different then 2.35”

Yes, the aspect ratio of My Fair Lady is 2.20.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 1, 2015 at 3:30 pm

From what I can tell now the theatre is on borrowed time . My guess 2016 is the end .

markp
markp on November 1, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Hard to disagree with you alps. Im just happy that in my 38 years of full time projectionist I was able to run 35, 70, and 15/70 IMAX. The last 2 years have been hard for me, now being a stagehand, but as Ive been told, time marches on.