Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 226 - 250 of 4,064 comments

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 13, 2013 at 11:42 am

“Robin Hood” with Douglas Fairbanks opened in L.A. at Grauman’s Egyptian Theater. in fact it was the theater’s debut film and played there for 2 years.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 12, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thanks, Al re Robin Hood. That movie opened Grauman’s Chinese, but I didn’t know where here it opened.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I saw The Great Gatsby yesterday 5/11 at the 12:00p.m. showing. i arrived the theater a few minutes before film began and was pleasantly surprised how many people were in the audience. in fact the crowd for the next showing 3:15 was a decent size as well. this is notable when you consider how many other theaters in Manhattan the film is playing at.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

By the way Howard, ROBIN HOOD(1922) opened at the Lyric on 42nd street.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

Typo on GATSBY.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 12, 2013 at 9:08 am

Myself, I don’t see movies in 3 D but I enjoyed The Great Gatsby in 2 D! It depicts well the Roaring 20s including movies like Robin Hood on Broadway theater signs. The movie is doing good box office nationwide 2nd only to Iron Man 3.

markp
markp on May 12, 2013 at 7:56 am

Howard, I would enjoy anything at the Ziegfeld, but WHY would anyone want to see the new Gatsby, and in 3D no less?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 12, 2013 at 7:47 am

Anyone who likes the Ziegfeld & is eager to see the new The Great Gatsby in 3D, can enjoy that movie now at the Ziegfeld!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 12, 2013 at 7:45 am

i agree. The Ziegfeld is to the East Coast what the Chinese is to the West Coast for movie premieres.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on May 1, 2013 at 11:02 am

Live theater there would suck. Needs to stay a movei theater.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 1, 2013 at 7:03 am

It has no stage, no back stage and no dressing rooms.

fred1
fred1 on May 1, 2013 at 6:52 am

Bow Tie will manage the theateras its own probaly to the end of its lease.It will be up to Cablevision to determed it fate . I can see it as a live theater venue like Radio City Music Hall and the Beacon theater for smaller acts.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 1, 2013 at 5:25 am

But the question is, will BowTie run the house for Cablevision as a regularly-scheduled movie theater?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 1, 2013 at 5:07 am

Cablevision couldn’t fail to see how popular an event like the annual TCM Road to Hollywood has been at the Ziegfeld. Every seat gets filled. Granted, those shows are free, but I for one would’ve gladly paid for it and I think everyone else would too. Hold more events like that, and the Ziegfeld will have a fighting chance for survival.

Vito
Vito on May 1, 2013 at 3:45 am

It is my understanding that although The Ziegfeld will not be acquired by Bow Tie the company will manage the Theatre on Cablevision’s behalf. If that is correct why do so many of you feel the theatre will close or am I missing something?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 30, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Well, Cablevision hasn’t done too badly by the Music Hall, MSG and its theater, and the Beacon, so maybe isn’t all bad news…

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on April 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

This is very sad news. The Ziegfeld should be their flagship theater. UGH

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on April 30, 2013 at 11:23 am

It does not look good…..

fred1
fred1 on April 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

If Bow tie included the Ziegfeld in its purchase it will drain them but Bow tie will manage the theater until Cablevision decide what to do with it. Closing will be in about 6 weeks

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on April 30, 2013 at 10:56 am

This is not good news for the Ziggy that it is not included in the sale to Bow Tie, it’s days are numbered …

Mediatwin
Mediatwin on March 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm

My all-time favourite movie theatre. I wrote about it on my blog

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

Ed: I know, right? Almost like it was submitted to the paper by a Stanley Kubrick impostor.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Wow, Bill. Knowing what we do about Kubrick’s reticence to discuss and analyze the meaning behind his work, that is quite a remarkable synopsis he offered up!

Vito
Vito on February 9, 2013 at 2:30 am

Yes Stan “Fiddler” played with a 70mm blow up print at the Rivoli. I was workong on Long Island at the time and we played the picture day and date at both the Syosset and Five Towns theates in 35mm. The Syosset ran a 35mm print with a magnetic four track print and the Five Towns ran a 35mm print with an optical/mono print. Sorry for the confussion.