Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 251 - 275 of 4,406 comments

markp
markp on November 1, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Hard to disagree with you alps. Im just happy that in my 38 years of full time projectionist I was able to run 35, 70, and 15/70 IMAX. The last 2 years have been hard for me, now being a stagehand, but as Ive been told, time marches on.

alps
alps on November 1, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Marc Lawrence, the tough guy actor from the early days of film noir to “Four Rooms” said of Quentin Tarantino, called him “a headline”, because he got so much attention for doing things that have been done better years ago. The Ziegfeld Theater, I would be surprised it they got “Hateful Eight” over “Star Wars the force awakens”. With box office being what it is, that would be a silly risk. I like Quentin Tarantino’s work very much; a he is a student of film because it’s a game to find what he is using from other movies. But why does he need to release this in a 70mm road show, ego? From the trailer I saw, the film looks a talky Claus phobic mood piece, set during a blizzard. With ticket prices being as they are, the general public isn’t clamoring for this. And now he has law enforcement who will protest the film when it comes out. Maybe it’s me, but this film vs. digital is a non argument, personally I love digital, and I believe Tarantino was taking about shooting on digital, on that I agree with him, because it preserves film, but what passes for cinema today, very little of it needs to preserved. I liked Django Unchained, but they made movies like this over 40 years ago. Why is TV breaking new ground and motion pictures are failing? He through out a digital projector, eh, I don’t believe it, the prints must be awful then. I went to see “The Master” in 70mm; it looked beautiful, like a 4k blu ray. For all of Ta(rant)ino’s pontificating, it’s still called show business, and not too many exhibitors are going for the expense of putting in this old equipment just for his movie.

markp
markp on November 1, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Trust me Mikeoaklandpark, Tarantino will want any theatre that can show it on 70mm to show it in 70mm. He hates digital. At his New Beverly Cinema out in California, the first thing he did when got full ownership was trash the digital projector.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 1, 2015 at 1:50 pm

The 50th anniversary print of My fair Lady may have been. The scope on the screen seemed different from the scope previwes. The masking which lowers top and bottom rather then side to side was opened when the film started and the aspect ratio seemed different then 2.35

ERD
ERD on November 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm

One of the last of the big movie theatres in the Broadway area. I hope it can continue to survive; the upkeep must be expensive. I remember going to the opening of the theatre and the reception that followed. I got to meeting some of the original Ziegfeld follies girls.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on November 1, 2015 at 9:02 am

As far as I know, the “70mm version” of Hateful 8 is exclusively presented via 70mm film. Yes, films shot on 65mm are presented via DCP all the time: Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, Ben Hur, etc.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 31, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Will the 70MM version of The Hateful 8 be on film, or is it possible to do 70MM in digital?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 31, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hello-

I have a question and I would like my fellow Ziegfeld devotes take on it. lets say for the sake of argument this theater does get SWVII. even with all the anticipation and even if it gets acclaimed as the best Stars Wars film yet would that really sell out the Ziegfeld even for a 2 week period? I ask this because no big film that’s played this theater in the last few years has ever even come close to selling out. plus SWVII will also be playing in God knows how many other theaters in Manhattan. this bring the main reason for the Ziegfeld’s low attendance. I look forward to your replies.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 30, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I notice in the photos that the marquee has recently said “Bow Tie Cinemas” but now says “A Walter Reade Theater.” What gives?

markp
markp on October 30, 2015 at 9:04 pm

walterk, I hope we can visit that place. I have not heard from them at all. I wonder if the stuff in the attic got saved. I would go see the hateful 8 with my wife after she gets out of Radio City, if they get it.

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I would definitely like to see the hateful eight roadshow edition 70 mm at the ZIG for sure. I would buy tickets on the 25th or 26th and head off into the city

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 6:13 pm

walterk
walterk on October 30, 2015 at 6:09 pm

markp, so would I, if it opens there Christmas I’ll be in the area for the holidays and will attend a showing. Regardless, I hope we have an opportunity to get together. Perhaps we can visit that place your Dad used to work again.

markp
markp on October 30, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Star Wars is going to be on every screen on every block in every neighborhood if possible. It will be out of gas within a month. I would rather see the roadshow exclusive Hateful 8 play here.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 30, 2015 at 10:12 am

Good bet. Especially with 70mm Road Show like release early for The Hateful Eight. Limited roadshow engagement will be released two weeks earlier on December 25th. It will be a slightly different — and longer — film overall. The roadshow version has an overture and an intermission, and it will be three hours, two minutes. The digital version is about six minutes shorter not including the intermission.

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on October 30, 2015 at 5:04 am

BowTie is NOT a particularly big chain. AMC is a big chain, they have a new Dolby Vision PLF screen at the Empire and locations all over the city and the tristate area. Regal is a big chain, with large screens in Midtown and the Village. My bet is that Star Wars goes to AMC and the Ziegfeld gets Hateful 8.

movieguy
movieguy on October 30, 2015 at 5:00 am

Yes it doesn’t look good for them getting Star Wars. As they should’ve gotten it back whenever one else did. John the manager knows it would’ve been a much better choice than any other movie because of course it would sell out the first weekend and be busy for a few weeks for sure. Not a good choice from whoever is up higher in the organization and deciding what they get at the theater

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 29, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I doubt Hateful Eight has been pushed back, the limited release is December 25th, and the wide is January 8th, and Fandango probably just is reflecting that.

I suspect the Ziegfeld would indeed get more business from Star Wars, but they should have had made that decision already as SW got record pre-sales and many shows are already sold out, so seeing a Ziegfeld option on the day tickets went on sale would have helped them.

movieguy
movieguy on October 29, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I also asked John the manager if they would get the hateful eight. He said he’s not sure but he thinks that would only do business for the one week a limited and engagement it would play in 70 mm. He would rather get Star Wars. Let’s see what happens. I see the hateful eight according To fandango has been pushed back to January 8. Don’t know if this is a mistake or not

movieguy
movieguy on October 29, 2015 at 4:47 pm

It’ll be nice to see 007 James Bond. I went for the back to the future trilogy on October 21. Good attendance and it looked fantastic up on the big screen with a very good audio as well. I spoke to John the manager and ask them if they were getting Star Wars. He Said it’s still being held up the decision on whether to give them Star Wars. I have no idea why it hasn’t been booked because bowtie is a big chain. No reason not to show it there.

markp
markp on October 29, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Screw Star Wars. I hope they get Hateful 8 in 70MM

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 29, 2015 at 1:27 pm

According to Fandango, this theater will show the new James Bond movie Spectre next weekend after the Martian concludes its month long run in 3D. No word on if Star Wars: The Force Awakens will play at this theater given that advance tickets were put out last week.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 29, 2015 at 1:27 pm

xbs2034
xbs2034 on September 30, 2015 at 11:34 pm

The theater is back open this weekend, showing Ridley Scott’s The Martian.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hello-

I have enjoyed reading the recent posts on this page. a few comments.

1. the Castro Theater in S.F. is indeed a grand old quite beautiful film house but it was built from the get go in Sept. 1922 as a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood house. it would be interesting to find how many grand old movie theaters built in the heyday of 1914- 1941 that were built from the get go as 1st run venues have continue to operate as such since the day they opened. so the fact a theater as grand and large as the Ziegfeld has continued to operate as a single screen
    1st run venue since the day it opened it Dec. of 1969 is a miracle. this is especially true considering Manhattan real estate mania.

2. also as grand and gorgeous a theater as the EL Capitan in Hollywood is it was not built as a movie theater. in opened in 1925 as a venue for live performances and only became a movie theater in 1941 when it was the only house in L.A. willing to play Citizen Kane.