Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 251 - 275 of 4,043 comments

markp
markp on January 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

My man Vito just summed it all up with the last sentence. Enough said.

Vito
Vito on January 4, 2013 at 9:19 am

Sorry Al I am not buying into that, maintaining curtains just simply is not all that hard. In all of my years in this biz I have worked many a theatre with just about every size and shape of curtain it is only recently, as Mark pointed out, have the industry lost the art of presenting movies and no one cares anymore about showmanship. In my day curtains rarely broke down and if they did it was repaired immediately because it was considered a sin to have a bare screen exposed in the theatre. And we used the curtains as a part of the show almost always presenting the movie with a Delux presentation opening and closing them between pre feature film and the feature. Heck we would not even allow the audience to see the masking moving between a flat presentation and a scope one the curtains were used to hide that. Perhaps the folks at the Ziegfeld should go over to Radio City Music Hall and find out just how to properly maintain the curtains. During the days of movies at RCMH have you ever gone into and found the curtain not working? That answer would be NO, and the Music Hall curtains are far more elaborate than the ones at the Ziegfeld and yet they manage to keep them working.
So cut the crap Clearview and get this problem resolved you are embarrassing yourself with the excuses that us ole timers aren’t buying

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 4, 2013 at 6:40 am

If you look at previous posts here, the curtain has never worked for more than a few weeks at a time regardless of who owned or managed the theatre. It is an albatross that has lead to many canceled performances and a fortune in repair costs over the years. It is too heavy to pull manually and takes weeks sometimes to get repair parts.

Even presentation conscience Walter Reade Theatres used to tie it up before a major screening for fear of it shutting the house down. I suppose a more profitable theatre would have replaced it years ago with the flimsy cheaper horizontal version that many legit theatres now have.

LuisV
LuisV on January 4, 2013 at 6:22 am

Al, it’s not lost on me. I minored in English Literature. I simply thought it was stupid. I’m allowed to have an opinion. Now, back to the Ziegeld. I want my curtain back!!!!!

markp
markp on January 4, 2013 at 6:13 am

saps, I’m sure the curtain works just fine and dandy. The bigger problem today is that no one at the theatre cares about showmanship. I can almost bet that the managers are a tad older than the kids selling concession. Gone are the days of managers in their 40’s and 50’s and projectionists like myself and my father who really truely cared about the presentation. Today, its get em in, get em out and how much is our per cap. I’m sure no one at Clearview (or any other chain who may end up with this theatre) gives a hoot about us old timers who are passionate about things like curtains and intermissions. Its really very sad.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

But can they get the curtain working?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Lol, al. If Digiplex takes over Clearview then theyll upgrade to 4k projection.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 3, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I guess Victor Hugo’s brilliant allegory on man’s inability to escape his past sins is lost on you.

LuisV
LuisV on January 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

It’s true it is a classic, but that doesn’t mean the plot is in any way believable. I and many people I know find the plot truly nonsensical. Without going into specifics it is astounding that the two main characters keep running into each other all over France in the most unusual places. I didn’t buy it. :–)

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm

“The plot is preposterous and the story nonsensical”

I can see not liking a movie or a play, but ridiculing the premise of one of the greatest classic works of all time is a bit much.

By the way, the 1934 French version which recently ran on TCM is four and a half hours long and I was not bored for a minute.

LuisV
LuisV on January 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I was bored to tears. The plot is preposterous and the story nonsensical. Russell Crowe’s voice was awful. The big surprise for me was how wonderful the actress who played Eponine was. For the record, I did not like to Broadway production either and I saw the original cast back in the late 80’s. Also, for the record, I have seen Chicago, Phantom, Mamma Mia, Dreamgirls, Grease, Sweeney Todd, etc at The Ziegfeld and they were all FAR better than Les Mis but that is only my opinion. Lots of other people like it, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised how many people completely agree with me. LOL! p.s. Dreamgirls, hands down, best movie experience for me at the Ziegfeld of any movie musical. It was something I will never forget including three standing ovations during the standing room only crowd.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hobbit les mis and zero dark thirty

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 3, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Bigjoe the thing was you are so involved in the movie that you don’t want to get up. I think i saw 2 people the whole time get up. I domiss the days of intermissions. Almosrt all of the big Christmas movies this year are way over 2 hours.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Hello-

it interesting even people i know who like the film if they have any negative comment per se is that they thought it was a tad long. haven’t they ever seen a stage production?

also there have been countless films in the past say 15 years that were huge box office hits and were longer than “Les Miz”. so if the only negative comment per se that people have about the film is its length i find that interesting.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

It didn’t have an intermission here in Asheville NC either. I loved the movie but it was a long time to sit.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 3, 2013 at 5:15 am

Perhaps Raysson made that up as something we can dream for the Ziegfeld?

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

It certainly wasn’t screened with any extras this afternoon, 2nd Jan 2013. Very, very disappointing presentation. ….and the movie itself wasn’t up to much either!!! Flagship cinemas should give an audience an experience, this afternoon I could have been in any shopping mall multiplex, from ticket kiosk all the way through to the screening!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Hello-

i am totally confused my raysson’s comment.
at what theater or theaters are they showing the
film with overture,intermission and exit music?

its certainly not at the Ziegfeld.

mhvbear
mhvbear on January 2, 2013 at 10:55 am

They certainly were not showing it at the 2:45 show on 12/31/2012.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on January 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

Al, I think the “exclusivity” Raysson was referring to was that most theatres playing Les Miz do not have reserved seating nor have a print complete with full overture, intermission or exit music. But then, one has to wonder where all these extra goodies are placed in the film, if Mr. Hooper had any say in the creation and execution of said special print, and why Clearview doesn’t even advertise such a thing on their own website or why I cannot find anything about this special print anywhere on the world wide web.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

“LIFE OF PI” was showing here on December 24. What exclusive reserved seat engagement are you referring to?

raysson
raysson on January 2, 2013 at 9:46 am

“Les Miserables” was one of two theatres in the country that opened as an exclusive reserved seat engagement complete with full overture,intermission,and exit music at New York’s Ziegfeld Theater. Everybody else got the general release for Christmas Day,2012.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 1, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Starting to sound like the old Victoria. (Maybe Clearview should just rename it the Embassy and be done with it!)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Odd that marquee wouldn’t be nicely decorated since the New York premiere of the movie was held here. I’ve now posted my photo from August of The Bourne Legacy, which I saw here, without curtain. Is Les Mis marquee decor simpler than Bourne Legacy marquee? just plain gold letters then.

LuisV
LuisV on January 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I saw the 6:45 Showing Sunday evening and the preshow, ads and previews were all shown. I didn’t notice dirty carpeting but I absolutely noticed that lack of an actual marquee. I’ve never seen anything like it. Just “Les Miserables” up there in simple lettering. Shameful but I just assumed it was some kind of mixup. I still very much enjoyed the presentation if not the film; with the exception of the curtains not working. Again, why is that so complicated?????